Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

View Poll Results: Are you planning to move to Windows 7?

Voters
416. This poll is closed
  • Yes

173 41.59%
  • No

195 46.88%
  • Don't know

48 11.54%
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Default Re: Are you planning to move to Windows 7?

Well, my machine is generally connected to the internet anyway, but it sounds like nonsense to me.
    IP

you would not believe the trouble I had getting the wireless adaptor in the test machine connected to the router

during that time [couple of days], everything else that was installed seemed to work just fine
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...
    IP

Quote Originally Posted by pauland View Post
    it sounds like nonsense to me.
    It is nonsense.

Windows 7 found my TP-LINK wireless router during the later part of the setup.
    Nothing but the WEP Key was required from me.
    IP

Thanks very much - wondered if perhaps this was the way of things in the future
    IP

Quote Originally Posted by sledger View Post
    Windows 7 found my TP-LINK wireless router during the later part of the setup.
    Nothing but the WEP Key was required from me.
    my router is WPA2 and this cannot be changed [policy, not hardware limitation of course] - no drivers for the adapter card worked under win 7 [dare say WEP would have been ok] - so ended up changing the card, not easy in the machine in question, which is why it is the 'spare'
    Nothing lasts forever...
    IP

The TP-LINK router also employs the WPA2 security protocol.

Your NIC may have been the problem, rather than your router.
    IP

yes that's what I am saying [I think]

nothing wrong with the router at all, its only 4 months old and fine with the other 2 machines on WPA2

- it was the original adapter card in the 'spare' computer, [that would be the NIC], which could not handle the WPA2 under win7 - to be fair it was long in tooth...
    Nothing lasts forever...
    IP

I have Vista on some newer PCs so yes, I am moving to Win 7. Anyone who has Vista and stays with it is nuts... impo.

The hardware recommendations for Win 7 are much lower than for Vista - so more lower end users can still enjoy all the pretties of Aero, and new stuff in the OS.

For people having any driver problems, look for a Vista driver. In most instances Vista drivers work fine in Win 7. Keep checking thouugh... you should find updates soon.

For anone who is interrested, Win 7 upgrades are on sale for $49.00 pre-release if you get it before release on Oct 22. They say supplies on upgrades are limited, but you guys know that line! The upgrade DVD contains both 32 and 64 bit versions. The upgrade sale is for XP and Vista users. es you can do a clean install from the upgrade DVD - just Google it *winks*.

As for MS restrictions or allowances... learn how to tweak all those settings. It is the best thing you can do!
    IP

Thumbs up Re: Are you planning to move to Windows 7?

I am writing this using the Win 7 RC, (Dual boot config with Vista)
    I have already pre-ordered 2 copies of Win 7!
    ~ DanDaBear ~
    Some people think inside the box, Some people think outside the box, I think about the box
    IP

Yes without a doubt, I'm now running W7 on my desktop, laptop and now even on my netbook, and I love it, it's the os Vista was supposed to be. It's a lot less ram hungry than Vista and in my experience faster and more stable. The library feature is great and file sharing between home grouped pc's is very easy, I also love the way you can pin all your apps to the task bar and keep your desktop much tidier. My laptop ran like a dog on Vista even though it was supplied with it, since installing W7, it’s been like a new machine and is now a pleasure to use, my netbook run ms office faster than on my laptop, I've had no hardware issues to speak of and all the vista drivers i've used have worked fine. My only gripe was that nvidia realsed a couple of poor W7 drivers that would not run some of my games, I reverted back to the Vista drivers and "hey presto", fixed.
    IP