Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

View Poll Results: Are you planning to move to Windows 7?

Voters
416. This poll is closed
  • Yes

173 41.59%
  • No

195 46.88%
  • Don't know

48 11.54%
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Default Re: Are you planning to move to Windows 7?

I have a new machine and have installed Win7 on it and it is working really well. Coming from WinXP I think it's a really great update and one I don't have to pay for until next year. The only niggles I have are that some flash detection seems a bit funky - perhaps because of thee new OS ID, but I'm not sure. Overall a thumbs up and hopefully no going back.

As it happens this coincides with switching from a P4M 2.4Ghz to a dual 2.1 GHz Core 2 Duo - what have I been missing!

Paul
    IP

Quote Originally Posted by sledger View Post
    I may have to eat my words (thoughts) regarding Creative's past reputations.
    Seems they already have Windows 7 drivers for many of their sound cards available right now.
    http://support.creative.com/kb/showa...aspx?sid=61105

Again, full support for hardware really is the manufacturers responsibility, not MS (unless it's MS hardware of course ).
    The native drivers which are shipped with Windows are generally developed by or with the manufacturer in any case. Manufacturers who don't care to co-operate with MS and gain digital certificates (the rubber stamp of approval) generally aren't interested in legacy hardware support (they have new stuff to push out .
    Steve
    I've already chewed on mine. Thanks for that link. I don't know why I missed it as I had had a hunt. I think it was the assumption that I wasn't going to find what I wanted. Sound card now working, if I can sort out a scanner and maybe a TV (not vital) I'll be in business.
    Back with XP for the moment though.
    Derek
    IP

OK, I'm up for it Derek

Which scanner do you have??
    IP

[ Derek, tell him it's the EpsoCanonMustek 1401b, he'll be searching the web for hours.. ;-) ]
    IP

Quote Originally Posted by sledger View Post
    OK, I'm up for it Derek

Which scanner do you have??
    I have an elderly Mustek scanner as it happens, but this one is a Trust Direct Web Scan 9200 but as the printer has develpoped what might be a terminal problem with the printhead (for some reason more costly to replace than to buy a new printer!!?) I'll probobly go for a printer/scanner option as a replacement if it come to that so don't waste too much time searching on my behalf until I know what I've got to do. I'm asuming that a new scanner/printer combo would be supported.
    Having spent a day with Win7 I must admit that whatever else I wouldn't be happy without upgrading (replacing) the entire PC (2 years old Dual Core 2 gig ram etc.) as the difference in performance when moving back to XP is very noticable and I dont know what advantage there is to trying to stay with W7, pretty though it is to look at, I'm not sure what else I'm getting that is a genuine improvement.
    Derek
    IP

Derek, if you're unhappy with a DualCore 2GB machine, I really don't know what to say. Win 7 is really responsive on my laptop and I have a similar spec to you. Your graphics card may be the culprit, so it may just be a question of reigning back some of the graphics features of Win 7 (Vista). That said, windows XP is a great OS.

Paul
    IP

Quote Originally Posted by pauland View Post
    Derek, if you're unhappy with a DualCore 2GB machine, I really don't know what to say. Win 7 is really responsive on my laptop and I have a similar spec to you. Your graphics card may be the culprit, so it may just be a question of reigning back some of the graphics features of Win 7 (Vista). That said, windows XP is a great OS.

Paul
    It's not that it crawls along, in fact it operates well enough to use perfectly well, unlike our Vista laptop, I just hate that blue circle thing that’s often there when I ask it to do something and once again I wonder how happy I'd feel if I'd forked out a bucket load of cash and found I had in effect bought myself a lower spec. computer.
    I'm assuming more ram and a newer CPU, which for me means a new motherboard as well, would get it up to speed but of course that’s more expense and what am I getting that I don't have already albeit in the guise of an old fashioned looking OS.

Given that W7 is in effect free at the moment I am going to persevere and make a decision when its finally released or perhaps when SP1 is released subsequently.
    Derek
    IP

I have no plans to move to Windows 7 because I don't see the point.
    IP

it does come with some cool wallpapers - [which are are now renamed 'desktop backgrounds'] - GB-wp5 [rock ruins and sea] is best I have seen in a long long time...

far more seriously the list of things that wont work for me - from Nero 6 to Mustek A3 USB scanner [no support after vista, and those drivers wont work] - is long and expensive

and 2014 is 5 years away, long enough perhaps for windows 8... long enough to organise a mac.....

so no plans yet except to see how the wind blows...
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...
    IP

To those that have ver 7 installed - on another list someone mentioned that with ver 7 he needed to be connected to the internet permanently or the PC won't run.... Can you confirm that you also do this?

thanks
    IP