Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

View Poll Results: Are you planning to move to Windows 7?

Voters
416. This poll is closed
  • Yes

173 41.59%
  • No

195 46.88%
  • Don't know

48 11.54%
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Default Re: Are you planning to move to Windows 7?

Yes, i´m thinking in buying a new pc (instead of an iMac) this summer and Win7 seems a good choice, based on what i´ve been reading and testing.

I´ve bought a macbook a few months ago and althought it´s an excelent choice to work with, it´s ridiculously expensive for what is offers regarding hardware specs (like any other mac for that matter). For those that like to get their hands dirty with hardware and know how to solve and upgrade parts of their machine Windows is a better choice, much more acessible and always with the fastest and greatest hardware available.

Currently there´s simply no quad cores available for iMacs yet! and Intel is already preparing to launch 8 cores processors!
    IP

I am sure I will eventually migrate to it after it has been out for a while and gets a lot of bugs out. I always wait. Took the longest time for me to go to xp pro which I still use for now.
    Joe
    IP

No, like many others I'm going to stick with XP (Home) on laptop and main desktop until I need to change a PC. I've yet to come across any app that I need or want to use that demands anything more than XP. Interesting, though, to read that reviewers are finding that Windows 7 can be usable on netbooks which struggle to run Vista, suggesting that maybe Microsoft have finally learned that a better/newer OS ought to be possible without demanding a significant leap in minimum spec hardware requirements to run it...

Jon
    IP

Having said that I will not be interested in Win7 I downloaded the RC1 version and installed it onto a spare hard drive so as not to risk anything happening to my XPproSP3 installation.
    The installation of Win 7 went through very rapidly without a hitch. I had a quick look round the new operating system and then plugged in my Canon printer. Win7 sneered at me when I offered the printer installation disk and went right ahead and installed the printer on its own so that all looked quite promising.
    I plugged in my scanner but this time as well as sneering at my puny XP installation disk for the scanner it failed to recognise that my scanner even existed and refused to consider any compromise with the possible exception of showing me a map where I might buy a new scanner.
    The next thing to be sneered at was my Creative X-Fi sound card, hardly an antique, but one that Win7 had no drivers for and Creative , not having heard of Windows7, have done nothing about so there was another disappointment.
    I opened Windows Media Centre and was reminded that I hadn’t plugged in a TV receiver of any kind. So I did but again installation was not possible, though if it had been it would have been a little quiet without a sound card.
    At that point I gave up and removed my temporary hard drive and reconnected my usual setup of XPProSP3.
    Everything works fine as usual and helped me re-affirm my, ‘if it aint broke don’t fix it’ motto.
    Change is all well and good but to have to mess about for weeks or simply replace otherwise perfectly good equipment because its not supported is not worth it for the sake of a few see through windows and a picture of a fish. It does seem to run faster than Vista though, but there again thats not hard and so does XP.
    Derek
    IP

The worst support for older hardware on new operating systems really comes from the manufacturers, not Microsft.
    I'm no MS fanboy, but the reality is that hardware manufacturers have an agenda which does not include developing drivers for older hardware to work with new generation operating system technology.
    Printer manufactures (as an example) are in the business of selling more ink, to do so, they constantly release new printers at low prices in order to get hardware into homes and the thirst for ink to begin.

This is nothing new.
    The same thing happened when XP was released.

As for Creative drivers - yes well - Creative have quite a reputation there.
    IP

Quote Originally Posted by masque View Post
    The next thing to be sneered at was my Creative X-Fi sound card, hardly an antique, but one that Win7 had no drivers for and Creative , not having heard of Windows7, have done nothing about so there was another disappointment.
    I may have to eat my words (thoughts) regarding Creative's past reputations.
    Seems they already have Windows 7 drivers for many of their sound cards available right now.
    http://support.creative.com/kb/showa...aspx?sid=61105

Again, full support for hardware really is the manufacturers responsibility, not MS (unless it's MS hardware of course ).
    The native drivers which are shipped with Windows are generally developed by or with the manufacturer in any case. Manufacturers who don't care to co-operate with MS and gain digital certificates (the rubber stamp of approval) generally aren't interested in legacy hardware support (they have new stuff to push out .
    IP

Don't know yet

I think of a desktopreplacement notebook
    This will be the future i think.
    (we will in the near future have a complete wireless network in my hometown)
    Besides win7 will have a winXP intergrated for usage on notebooks.
    Acer will provide its notebooks with a dualboot sytem with Windows and Android,like to see how that will go.
    IP

Hans I thought Android was for mobile phones and similar devices.
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    Bill is no longer with us. He died on 10 Dec 2012. We remember him always.
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update
    IP

IP

Well.. I've tried 1 beta and this RC build 7100 (I work on XP and 7 RC nearly simultaneously with copies of my documents and other things including software installations on two separate hard disks) and I must say that after initial enthusiasm and "I can't wait until it's out" attitude I have to think more about it.

One thing is that XP is like what... 8 years old? This is hell a lot of time... but it's still solid, up to date and "the most" compatible system at the moment. Besides, I'd rather want my hardware to be "too new" for the system (I have Athlon X2 5600, 4GB RAM, Radeon 4850) rather than "just enough" or slightly above average for this brand new 7. I know XP, I remember everything I need to customise after fresh format and it works OK...

Why move to 7 then?
    Well.. 7 is new, which means it has fresh ways for solving old problems. Of course, it's only RC and since I skipped Vista completely, it would be nice to switch over to 7 in the nearest future. Some things are better than in XP but I have some minor problems with the GUI and my old habits. RC is valid for a year more so I guess I have time... and I'm thinking about waiting for Service Pack 1 as it's or it hasn't been a right thing to switch to completely new system (it was like that with Win 2000, with XP and I think it will be like that with 7). But SP 1 will be something around the middle of 2010.. quite a lot of time...

And it would be nice to have a 64-bit system because when it comes to my XP, it's 32-bit and I can't use the whole 4GB of RAM... I'm using Windows 7 RC which is 64-bit so it feels like there's no waste when it comes to my RAM...

I don't know really, I'm still testing and making up my mind. I hope the prices won't be high... Vista is so expensive at the moment due to this crisis scam and exchange rates that I don't know if I want to spend more than reasonable for e.g. 7 home premium... we'll see.

I have an MSI netbook and I guess it will always have XP : )
    Last edited by Sponsi; 06 June 2009 at 02:27 PM.
    IP