Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default I'm going insane with something even easier than that

I really really need someone to explain text to me.

I create a box, write in it, and then it seems to become an unmodifiable, uneditable, uncolorable entity. I select it with the select tool and nothing selects to edit. I select it with the text tool and all that wants to do is create another line of text.

How does a person go back to a box of text and change it or select a font or color or anything? I presume that it's possible to actually edit text, but the method is definitely unfigureoutable and if it's in the help files it's cleverly hidden under undescriptive terminology.

Thanks

D

Default Re: I'm going insane with something even easier than that

Hello Doctor Why,

Please could you attach your XAR file. It seems this is the best way people have of showing you where, if anywhere, you were going wrong - by using the very document you were working on. The process you have asked about is truly very simple, so something is clearly fundamentally wrong here. Perhaps a throwback to another program you were using before. Whatever it is I'm sure it can be solved very quickly.

Doctor Why the Text Tool can edit your text area. You can select the text are with the Selector Tool then switch to the Text Tool.

Click and drag to select a letter, word, sentence, etc just like any text editor. To select all the text simply click inside the text area with the Text Tool cursor and use Ctrl+A. With text selected you can change the colour, make it bold, change the font, etc.

You can change the text colour using the Selector Tool but it is applied to all the text in the area. With the Text area selected left click on the color line and select Fill Color from the popup menu. If you have used XaReg to disable the popup menu a left click will apply the selected colour to the fill and a right click will apply the selected colour to the outline.
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    Bill is no longer with us. He died on 10 Dec 2012. We remember him always.
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update

Doc Y

Is this on a Layer that has become locked?

It does not sound possible because you would not be able to create anything on a locked layer, but it sure sounds like a locked layer.

Thumbs up Re: I'm going insane with something even easier than that

Quote Originally Posted by gwpriester View Post
    Doc Y

Is this on a Layer that has become locked?

It does not sound possible because you would not be able to create anything on a locked layer, but it sure sounds like a locked layer.
    Gary, if you create something and after lock the layer you see the object but you can't modify it
    Javier

"Please could you attach your XAR file."

I will next time it happens. I've been throwing them out when they go bad and I can't fix them.

"Click and drag to select a letter, word, sentence, etc just like any text editor. To select all the text simply click inside the text area with the Text Tool cursor and use Ctrl+A. With text selected you can change the colour, make it bold, change the font, etc."

Yes, that's what I want...

"It does not sound possible because you would not be able to create anything on a locked layer, but it sure sounds like a locked layer."

Makes sense to me. How would I know that that has happened? I've never had reason to use layers yet, unless they just happen in some way that I am not aware of.

W