Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default High Quality or Very High quality?

Hello

Please can somebody tell me, when you set the quality of the page, what is the difference between High Quality and Very High Quality? I cannot tell the difference at all.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	scrn00000.png 
Views:	264 
Size:	3.2 KB 
ID:	61172  

Default Re: High Quality or Very High quality?

Hi David,
    Don't quote me on this! but the only difference I know is the way the programme uses the memory of your machine.
    Design is thinking made visual.

Import a large bitmap (say a 6 megapixel photo) and then resize it to be just a few hundred pixels wide.

At 'high' quality, the resized image looks terrible compared with how it looks at 'very high' quality: the re-sampling in 'very high' mode is much better.

----
    From the online help:
    • High quality (full anti-aliasing and image smoothing)
    • Very high quality (best anti-aliasing in the industry. New bi-cubic photo display considerably improves the quality of scaled down photos).

The default quality level is "high" to give the most useful balance between quality and performance. When set to Very high quality the document is displayed on screen exactly as it will be printed (except that the monitor is lower resolution than a printer.) Anti-aliasing gives a much smoother and more accurate screen display, especially when displaying small details. However, one of the consequences is that sometimes objects can look slightly blurred.
    Last edited by Daniel; 20 May 2009 at 08:58 AM.

This is explained in the Xara Xtreme help file under 'Index' item: Quality

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	wysiwyg.png 
Views:	250 
Size:	22.2 KB 
ID:	61175

You can also view the Help movie from the help file link or directly from your hard drive here (path to XXPro shown):
    C:\Program Files\Xara\Xara Xtreme Pro 4\HelpAndSupport\ENG\wysiwyg_small.avi
    Last edited by steve.ledger; 20 May 2009 at 12:07 PM. Reason: video error

if you use bitmaps, and you reduce them, then on very high quality they will remain 'in focus' in xtreme, just as Daniel says [bicubic resizing I believe]

I notice from the 'Einstein' thread that you work similar to me

Vectorising a hand drawn/inked line sometimes takes away the character of the line, so it is useful to be able to use the scanned bitmaps with the white background filtered out

as I draw large, the imported bitmaps usually need to be reduced down to about 28% - so this feature alone was worth the upgrade to me....
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

I do import large bitmaps from my scanner, but they tend to be monochrome and no higher than 300dpi. At that resolution I guess you wouldn't see any difference between the quality settings.

Thank you all for your help. And in future I should read the manual before asking

you would if you reduce them in size, and the notional dpi increases...

strips on the web are usually about 600pix wide [equates to 6.25" at 96dpi]

if I laid my art for the strip out at scanned size it would be around 2500 pix wide - being able to see the final image at the right size clearly [without messing with bitmap copies] is a real advantage, that only came with xtreme ver 4
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

Steve, I only get the audio in your online video above.
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

I'm not getting audio or video. Click the play button and see "Opening Media" for a few seconds then back to Ready.
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    Bill is no longer with us. He died on 10 Dec 2012. We remember him always.
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update

Yeh Bill, I just removed it - something went screwy with it.
    Unnecessary at this stage now and besides, anyone with the full CD version of Xtreme has the movie on their HDD as indicated in my post.

I'll attached it here for download for those who don't have it.
    Attached Files Attached Files