Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: cushy cms

Default cushy cms

hi
    just wondering if anyone had had any success using cushy cms to update web designer sites. looking to create a couple of sites for people who want to update their own and this looks like an ideal option.

problem is you have to denote 'editable areas' via the sites code and i havent come across a way to do that with web designer so far.
    thanks for any help
    paul

Default Re: cushy cms

From my post on another thread

"XWD generates the HTML layout from the design content that you have created in XWD. It includes multiple pixel positioned fields to represent the layout precisely. Populating the page (now acting as a template) from a CMS would bypass that layout mechanism. XWD generates many separate fields positioned for the original content that would not be suitable for different content generated by a CMS."

The only real way to do it would be with placeholders, but you would need to give up (in those sections) the text formating and text layout that XWD gives you.

It would not be at all possible to have user editable text that flowed around an image, for example.

Paul

Adobe InContext Editing (ICE) can do this. But unfortunately, it only works with Dreamweaver CS4. I just wrote a review of ICE. It is pretty cool and uses named DIV tags, something I am sure Xara/John could work out.

The webmaster determines the level of changes the client can make, from simple text changes and updates, to styles, uploading photos and adding hyperlinks.

Xara already has the technology in Xara OnLine Site Updater. And they have offered this service for years.

That's as may be, but it won't allow simple editing of blocks of text that have been entered using XWD, because they are in separate DIV tags - one for each line.

The real difficultly is that inline editing of a generated page bypasses the layout management that XWD uses. Dreamweaver would (most likely) have all text to be edited inside one DIV tag and the layout of the page is controlled using CSS rules. XWD bypasses that to break up text blocks into a lot of separate DIVS.

It is possible to substitute text using a CMS, but it's not convenient nor would it work as users might expect.

thanks for your replies guys - bit disappointing so i suppose its struggle on with deamweaver for cms sites, although 'cushy' does mean that everybody doesnt have to have a copy of contribute.

Hi I've been using Cushy but now prefer surrealcms which gives a better WYSIWYG UI if you upload a css to the surreal site.

It has a free version too, please see http://webmagicsouth.co.uk/xara_dynamic/ for a working site.

The trick is to create editable regions and add the content via the cms rather than XWM

Good luck

I like this a lot! Were you able to add this CMS functionality while within XWD or does it require manipulation of the exported HTML?

Quote Originally Posted by bexvlad View Post
    Hi I've been using Cushy but now prefer surrealcms which gives a better WYSIWYG UI if you upload a css to the surreal site.

It has a free version too, please see http://webmagicsouth.co.uk/xara_dynamic/ for a working site.

The trick is to create editable regions and add the content via the cms rather than XWM

Good luck
    Perhaps you can indicate what parts of the site are populated via the CMS - a quick look at the source didn't make it very obvous.

It's not my site, but I think if you take a look at http://webmagicsouth.co.uk/xara_dynamic/cheesecake.html, you can see an example - the div with a class of 'editable'.

Thanks J2R. It's populating a fixed placeholder and I guess it does the job. People would need to take care that they understand that the example only has a particular panel that is under the control of the CMS and the rest is static.

Thanks for the link.

Paul