Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Webstyle and IE8 problem

Hi,

I am just finding out that the menus made by Webstyle, do not work properly in IE8. (move mouse down to acces submenu and submenu disappears.)

Although Webstyle is old, I expect there are a lot of us that still use it regularly.

Can we hope that xara will update the code so that the xaramenu.js file will work with IE8?

TIA

Paul

Default Re: Webstyle and IE8 problem

Hi Paul,

I use IE8 and a Webstyle dropdown works on my system.

Vista Ultimate, 4GB RAM, Intel Core 2 Duo processor.

Try the test page I just put up
    http://btaylor.50megs.com/ws-dd/index.htm

The two button navbar was made using Webstyle 4. The navbar was put into a Xara Web Designer web page using a placeholder object and the script line from the Webstyle exported .htm page when saving the navbar.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ws-dd.png 
Views:	493 
Size:	35.2 KB 
ID:	60655  
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    Bill is no longer with us. He died on 10 Dec 2012. We remember him always.
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update

Hi Bill,

Thanks for that, but some of my menu works ok in IE8 but not the 3rd item and the last one (called 'essentials'). The submenu disappears intermittently when you try and access it.

Here is the link (broken as i don't want the search engines to link to it)

If you could just move your mouse over the 'essentials' tab and then try to access the submenu and then the subs menus, you should see my problem

http://www.(break)cardsnscrolls.co.u...chocolate.html

Thanks for taking the time to put the test item up.

Paul

Hi Paul,

Yes the cascading sub-items from the Essential button is a bit hit'n'miss, though if I don't move the cursor so fast it works form me in IE8.

I do see a problem with the 'Card Font Options' almost totally covering the highlighted 'Hover over the ?'s for help" in IE8 and partially covered in all other browsers.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IE8-cards.png 
Views:	477 
Size:	87.3 KB 
ID:	60674

Chrome is fast becoming a very popular Windows browser as is Safari (especially on the Mac), unfortunately your WS menus are totally broken in those two browsers, being misplaced entirely.
    Webstyle has been retired since the release of Xara Web Designer, so It's unlikey that Xara will add support for newer browsers to old retired software..

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	chrome and safari.png 
Views:	469 
Size:	67.0 KB 
ID:	60675

The 'hover' problem is just a css tweak, but i had not checked the site (or the webstyle menu) with safari or chrome. :-(

Luckily, that page is the only one with that menu on as a tester, the rest have got a css/javascript menu that seems to work ok in all the browsers ( i must install chrome.)

The reason why i am trying to install a pure javascript horizontal menu is so i don't double up on the menu links. I like the left hand menus on the pages and i also like top one for top menu lovers, but i don't want the search engines to see it! I was going to put a simple ul list to the main pages in a <noscript> for browsers without Javascript enabled.

I know it sounds long winded, but i think i am going to have to accept that the top menu is just going to be a non javascript, one level (cards, gifts, essentials) and no sub menus and just have the product links on the side.

But it would have been good if i could have done this :-)

Thanks for your time and pointing out the safari and chrome issue ( i have ie 6, 7 and 8, opera and firefox, kinda forgot safari and didn't realise Chrome was getting that popular. Lesson learned.

Thanks again

Paul

I have customers calling me too. My menus don't work with IE8. I submitted a trouble ticket, but haven't gotten a reply yet. I can't tell my users to use a specific browsers. Has anyone figured out how to make this work in IE8?

I would suggest running IE8 in the IE7 compatibility mode.
    For this you have to add following string to your page <head> section:
    Code:
    <meta http-equiv="X-UA-Compatible" content="IE=7"/>
    John.

Didn't work, any more ideas?

Great information.......Thank you very much!!......http://www.greenrent.de

Spam removal
    Last edited by James Allen; 30 December 2010 at 12:07 AM. Reason: Spam