Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

I started the program twice this morning in a hurry. Enabled grid via the menu, enabled snap to grid via the menu.

Nada, nothing. No reaction to the grid.

What's up? I don't have time to investigate further, because I'm in a hurry. Will check back for messages when I return.
    Art should tell a story. Don't paint a moment, paint a lifetime.

I started the program twice this morning in a hurry. Enabled grid via the menu, enabled snap to grid via the menu.

Nada, nothing. No reaction to the grid.

What's up? I don't have time to investigate further, because I'm in a hurry. Will check back for messages when I return.

Hi
    I havn't had much time with it yet but I noticed the same thing when I was playing with it yesterday, I hope it's something that will be put right before final release if it is a glitch.
    The other thing I've noticed is when you use the program in full screen mode, as I do, the drop down menu's judder as the mouse pointer moves across them. I noticed this with XaraX.old as well though I hoped it would have been dealt with as it's worse with some menus than with others and can be off putting.

derek

Snap to grid working OK for me - dont get the little lock symbol but it still snaps.

Christine
    Christine

Software: XDPX9, WD9,WD10,XDPX10,WD11,XDPX11,XDP365

I think we have two points of confusion:

Xara X¹ isn't pre-release software, it is the final version: Charles & Co just posted about it here before putting it live on their own website.

I think you guys with the snap-to-grid problems will find this useful: check Page Options -> Grid & Ruler -> Subdivisions.

It appeared that Snap To Grid wasn't working for me, but with divisions every 50 pixels and 50 subdivisions between each 50 pixels, no snapped seemed apparant. Lower it (back to your previous default? I don't think I had theese settings in Xara X 1.0)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	snap-grid.gif 
Views:	424 
Size:	18.6 KB 
ID:	5673  

My units and ruler are set to centimeters with 10 sub divisions on the ruler and it doesn't snap.
    When working with documents to print pixels on the ruler etc. are not much use, but I will experiment further

Ok, went away to experiment a little and opened an old drawing in X1. The units were pixels with 5 sub divisions and snapping worked fine. When I changed the units in the old drawing to centimeters with 10 sub divisions snapping no longer worked. I hope it's not just me, but it certainly seems to be the case that snapping is a bit wonkey on my machine.
    On the other hand it's not the end of the world as I usually turn it off anyway and other benfits outweigh this slight possible glich.

derek

Works Ok on my machine, Normally I use inches, As a test I set the grid to 1Cm. X 10 sub div., Still worked. If I zoom out and the grid is not showing the total number of sub divisions, snaps to the sub division as specified and not the reduced resolution of the grid.

When I opened X Prime it "felt" like snap to grid (enabled) was not working. I zoomed way in and found it was. Daniel correctly pointed out exactly why--at least in my case. Changing number of subdivisions from 50 to 5 restored X's "snap."

Antony, X Prinme could use a new default for Number of subdivisions.

Yes, I turned it down from 50 to 10, and got snap back (or rather, snap to a low enough resolution so that it was actually noticeable).

Why is the default snap setting so high? Surely, this must be a slip.

Also, another thing which is very, very annoying:

If I enter line width to 1,2pt it still only shows 1pt.

And how can I change all units to px? Most of it is already px, but not line width, for some strange reason.