Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default Wanting Extreme, but not Upgrade

Hi all,

I hope I am posting this in the right place being the newbiest of all newbies.

I have an older version of Xara. I am wanting to install Xara Xtreme, but do not want to upgrade my old version as it has issues, of my own making, that may cause problems with an upgrade, I don't know for sure, but I don't want the old problems in my new program.

So to make a long post longer, can I install Xtreme without uninstalling the old program. Will this cause problems? Should I uninstall the old program first?

I have a few files in my old Xara I would like to import into my new program, but don't know how to do that.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Default Re: Wanting Extreme, but not Upgrade

Hi Glenda,

You can purchase an upgrade without worrying about problems in an older version. The new version will install into it's own folder and your old version will remain in it's own.

I have several versions installed on my system, all work as they should without interferring with any other version. Only one version can be registered as the default version to open .xar files. But that doesn't prevent you from open with any version you have installed.

If you create a file in Xtreme and open it with your older version you will see some warnings about a feature was created in a newer version and will be ignored. Opening an older .xar file with the newer version will simply open the file.
    Last edited by Soquili; 04 May 2009 at 06:27 PM.
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    Bill is no longer with us. He died on 10 Dec 2012. We remember him always.
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update

Hi glowery

Welcome to the forum. :-)

You can have multiple versions of Xtreme installed at the same time. I'[ll leave it to the Xarans who have more registry expertise than I do to comment on whether the messed up current install will be an issue.

As for "importing" your existing files, all you have to do is open them in the new version of Xtreme. Nothing else is necessary.

Allison

Thank you both for replying, that makes me a bit less nervous about installing the new version.

Welcome to the Xtreme Conference Glenda.