Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default Shade And Tint Like Bruce Timm?

This is a picture of Cyclops done by Bruce Timm:

http://www.comicvine.com/bruce-timm/...185/?offset=21

If you notice, he put white highlights in his dark blue around the edge of his art in order to flesh it out more.

I would love to know how to do this in Corel Painted XI. I've been trying for days to mimic his style with my own superhero designs but have not been able to figure out how he does it.

While I do create my own heroes, I also like to use templates to help me design them from time to time, especially this guy since I really like his style. of art.

Added:

Just loaded a pic of Superforce in costume and you will see what I mean.

Here's an example of what I mean by template:

http://comicartfans.com/GalleryRoom.asp?GSub=1334

As you can see it's basically a blank figure that you can draw on.

One of my original characters I've ever created is a guy called Superforce. He is essentially a Superman variant. His origin is that he was led to a sacred site by a group of native Americans so he can photograph the art on the walls of the caves and he promised them he'd keep the location a secret. How did this happen? A few years ago he saved the live of a shaman's daughter by pulling her out of an overturned car. It exploded, and he took the brunt of the blast and was badly injured by flying shrapnel. So her father took him to the sacred and secret site as a way of showing his gratitude.

While he was in the cave there was an earth tremor, and the cave filled with strange gas. It is this gas that gave him his superhuman powers and he took on the name Superforce to honor his hero, Superman.

Sorry for rambling but as you can see I like superhero stories and adventures.

But I still would really love to know how Mr. Timm does his shades and tints like in the Cyclops picture I linked to.

As you can guess, I'm strictly an amateur artist. If I could I would go to a professional art school because I would love to work for a company like Lucas Arts, or Blizzard, or ILM some day. Ah perchance to dream....
    Last edited by Elbee; 03 May 2009 at 02:08 AM.
    IP

Default Re: Shade And Tint Like Bruce Timm?

Quote Originally Posted by Elbee View Post
    If you notice, he put white highlights in his dark blue around the edge of his art in order to flesh it out more.
    Looks like the Dodge brush might do the trick. Go to the Photo Brushes and use the 'Dodge' brush for lighter accents and the 'Burn' brush for darker accents.

BTW-it's a good idea to play around with ALL the brushes in Painter to get an idea of the possibilities. Who knows, someday you might need them! :-)

Cheers

Doug
    IP

Default Re: Shade And Tint Like Bruce Timm?

Elbee,
    In looking at Timm's drawing, I might suggest you usea either a dry brush for the white hi-lites, or perhaps a chalk-type drawing tool. Remember too, that a LOT of what Timm does is TRADITIONAL drawing, I'm not sure that anything he does is done in the computer...but I may be wrong in this. Good luck,
    MJB
    IP