Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default Is this possible?

I was looking around the internet for some inspiration and came across this web site http://www.beijer.net/web/web_aut_en.nsf, which I really liked the look of.

I know that Web Designer can do things with the background of the site other than just inserting flat colours (by background, I mean the unused part of the screen surrounding the page), but I was really impressed by the way this faded from black to grey and also had a slight reflection at the bottom of the page, giving a 3D effect to the web page. It also reacts to the length of the page, which is impressive.

Would this level of background sophistication be possible in Web Designer?

Thanks

Default Re: Is this possible?

Nothing reacts to the length of the page - these are separate pages and have appropriate design elements.
    This effect can be easily created in WD. Se attached file for example.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    John.

That's brilliant, thank you.

I need to read up on how the 1 pixel wide filled rectangles to the left of the pages affect the background .... I've seen a thread on that and will go and have a look. Thanks again.

PS Just found it ... perfect!
    Last edited by Colin Carpenter; 01 May 2009 at 10:56 AM.

I enjoyed this reply, but I am still perplexed? The 2-color background evades me. I know the answer is here somewhere and I tried to find it. Please help: how do you set the bacKground to 2-colors as in your example? Chris

This may help (from the help file)

Draw a tall thin rectangle. This needs to be as tall as any user is likely to make their browser window so it doesn't repeat vertically. A value of 1000 pixels or more is recommended, which is much taller than your page. You may need to zoom out to draw one large enough. It should be very narrow.

Make sure your rectangle has no outline: Click it in the Selector Tool and set it to have no outline. Click on the 'no color' cross-hatch patch on the Color Line (or select 'none' from the Line Width drop down menu on the top button bar).

Ensure the rectangle is a few whole pixels wide, and then ensure it is on exact whole pixel X and Y coordinates: In the Selector tool select the rectangle, edit the Width (W) value, press Enter, then edit the X and Y positions to be whole numbers.

Using the Fill tool, give it a graduated color fill as required: Just drag on the rectangle. Make sure it's graduated top to bottom by adjusting the fill arrow if necessarily.

Export the rectangle as a PNG image. Click the 'Export as PNG' icon . Once exported drag it back onto the page from your File Explorer.

Open the Bitmap Gallery , scroll down to see the graphic you just loaded (it will be a very thin, almost invisible thumbnail in the Gallery), and select it (click on it in the Gallery) and then click the Background button on the Bitmap Gallery. You can now delete the original rectangle from the page.

Drwyd

Great thanks. I am going to try it now. Chrs

There seems to be a few persistent challenges. I scrupulously avoided the lines colours. Two attempts at 1000 pix x 10 pixs and then at 1000x20 still managed to show up as vertical lines (faint but visible). More problematical though was that the background did not display as readily as a flat colour. It took a few mouse scrolls to wake it up out of some sort of slumber. Chris

Another thing to consider with gradients, is use a background that fades from one colour to another and back again - that way, if it repeats, you will not see a definite line ........
    Keith
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    There are 10 types of people in this world .... Those who understand binary, and those who don't.