Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Editable Table Object for Tabular Text Data

With formatting capabilities like those found in MS Word (border, shading, irregular row/columns, etc).

This doesn't have to translate to HTML tables when exported, but that would make sense with proper CSS formatting.

I would also like this object in Xara Xtreme as it is very useful for brochures and other documents.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	tables.jpg 
Views:	573 
Size:	26.7 KB 
ID:	59479  

Default Re: Editable Table Object for Tabular Text Data

While this (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vTkggsBp_5Q) video by Xhris shows a work around, it is still less desirable than a full blown table object.

This becomes particularly evident when you need to resize and/or reformat the table and contents, IMO.

As even web based editors allow for easy-to-use table creation and editing, I hope that this capability is a high priority for upcoming XWD releases...

You can import tables from MS-Word into XWD:
    1. Create your table in Word;
    2. Export as web page (File/Save as Web Page);
    3. Open the exported .htm file in Notepad (or something similar) and copy all code between <table .... and </table>;
    4. In XWD, create a placeholder where you want the table to be placed, noting that the placeholder's width will affect the width of the table;
    5. Open the Placeholder tab of the Web Properties dialog and paste the code into "Replace with HTML code" box.

The table will be shown exactly as you created it in Word.

Quote Originally Posted by Boy View Post
    You can import tables from MS-Word into XWD:
    Personally, I wouldn't copy the HTML created by MS-Word into a design.

But, yes, there are any number of work arounds. However, the point is that tables are a common element of web pages and the ability to create them natively and intuitively in XWD should be included.

Can I add my voice here too? I have only just started working with XWD and have found it a very useful and nifty program. But I was amazed to find that it did not include any table facilities!!

I had always assumed that ANY program professing to do web design today would have table facilities (and not just for text) (and frames as well). How about it Xara?

Welcome to TG Colin,

I think the point to realize is that Web Designer is not a HTML editor, therefore it stands that it is not going to offer the same HTML layout tools as a traditional HTML editor.
    With Web Designer there is NO HTML at all involved. You simply create your page design directly and graphically then 'export' the design to html.
    Web Designers .web format is your design project file (always save a copy) which is 100% HTML free.

You can add HTML tables via a placeholder, but the <table> code will need to be created in a HTML editor (or notepad if you know how to code a table) first.

Same thing for framsets, these are HTML elements.
    See here for a way to create something that works like a frameset in Web Designer.

Quote Originally Posted by sledger View Post
    I think the point to realize is that Web Designer is not a HTML editor, therefore it stands that it is not going to offer the same HTML layout tools as a traditional HTML editor.
    Actually, my point was that as a document editor, it should handle table creation and editing as a design element. Word, Open Office, and other document editors are not (strictly speaking) HTML editors, but allow you to easily utilize tables, without reverting to inserting code generated from other apps or hand coding.
    Last edited by StevenWWinters; 26 May 2009 at 10:51 PM. Reason: typo

Steven the program is a graphics design application that happens to export html. It is not a document editor in a traditional sense.
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    Bill is no longer with us. He died on 10 Dec 2012. We remember him always.
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update

Quote Originally Posted by Soquili View Post
    Steven the program is a graphics design application that happens to export html. It is not a document editor in a traditional sense.
    I think we're nitpicking here. It is a web document.

Call it a feature request. I don't care whether they export it as an HTML table.

Thumbs up Re: Editable Table Object for Tabular Text Data

Hi all,
    I am new with XWD but have used Webstyle for some time.
    I have been trying to find a workaround to the tabl;es problem and read your posts with interest.
    I agree that some for of table designer in the program would put the finishing touches to an otherwise brilliant and easy to use piece of software. I am yet to discover if some of the features of Webstyle can be incorporated, but I guess that may not be needed once I get the hang of XWD
    Ta,
    Caldane