Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Hi everyone,

Today I've been trying to have a look at the movies on CD2. I've found something rather interesting in that two of them don't appear to work. Not that I've tried them all but having found that two don't work I used my help decomiler and had a look at the links which fire up the xarademo.exe program. It was interesting. Of all the links only two are entered as simply xarademo - all the others are entered as xarademo.exe. someone else I know with XaraX has no problem bu he has installed XaraX to the default location. Since I've installed to a different location, this implies to me that the link should point to xarademo.exe so it can find the file in the non-default location.

It is, however, rather easily overcome by simply adding the path to xarax on your path statement in your autoexec.bat file. I would however, request that Xara correct this (not urgently since it is very easily overcome) for the benefit of the non-technical minded who wouldn't have a clue on how to make the appropriate mod to their Autoexec.bat file.

Bye
    Trace

Hi everyone,

Today I've been trying to have a look at the movies on CD2. I've found something rather interesting in that two of them don't appear to work. Not that I've tried them all but having found that two don't work I used my help decomiler and had a look at the links which fire up the xarademo.exe program. It was interesting. Of all the links only two are entered as simply xarademo - all the others are entered as xarademo.exe. someone else I know with XaraX has no problem bu he has installed XaraX to the default location. Since I've installed to a different location, this implies to me that the link should point to xarademo.exe so it can find the file in the non-default location.

It is, however, rather easily overcome by simply adding the path to xarax on your path statement in your autoexec.bat file. I would however, request that Xara correct this (not urgently since it is very easily overcome) for the benefit of the non-technical minded who wouldn't have a clue on how to make the appropriate mod to their Autoexec.bat file.

Bye
    Trace

I think that someone with a less technical knowledge than yours will simply install Xara in the default location...
    Me too I had two movies I couldn't see when I tried to open them from the Help files. I had to open them directly from the CDRom, but the things they show you in those movies are more than compensating for this little gumption trap. (Yes, I did read Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintainance.) [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

Prince Edward Island, Canada --- The land of lawn tractors

I've now watched most of the movies and continue to think they are the cat's meow. Xara's use of non-updated old movies featuring the name CorelXara I think should be reconsidered by Xara Ltd. At the very least they could briefly highlight the program's history and thereby clarify the references to CorelXara. If they are to expand their market share beyond those of us who have used the program for years, these references seem like poor branding.

In one of the introduction movies they not only refer to C-Xara (that abreviation should make Gary happy [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img] ), they refer to the cd's 10,000 pieces of clipart - which Xara X doesn't deliver.

I realize the pressure Xara Ltd. was under to release the CD. Hopefully before they manufacture more they can address the situation.

Regards, Ross

P.S. - I wonder if anyone has suggestions for new movies?

<a href=http://www.designstop.com/>DesignStop.Com</a>

Thanks for the posting Tracey. I've just looked at the Help source and there are just two places where "XaraDemo" is called instead of "XaraDemo.exe" (both on the Movies page). That will be fixed in future releases.
    Can I ask that if people find similar problems in the future they also email support@xara.com with the details. We don't always monitor this newsgroup (other things to do like writing software etc.) and could easily miss something.