Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Question Ribbon-like interfaces (ala Office 2007)

While happily trying out Windows 7 many noticed that Paint and Wordpad just got a visual refresh with a brand new ribbon interface.

Apart from Microsoft Office 2007 suite, what other software use this solution?
    How do you guys feel about it?

Autodesk Autocad (interface example).

Power Archiver (interface example).

Mind Manager (interface example).

Default Re: Ribbon-like interfaces (ala Office 2007)

Quote Originally Posted by Giovanni View Post
    While happily trying out Windows 7 many noticed that Paint and Wordpad just got a visual refresh with a brand new ribbon interface.

Apart from Microsoft Office 2007 suite, what other software use this solution?
    How do you guys feel about it?
    Exactly what is supposed to be so special about the 'ribbon' interface? I've seen it before and it just looks like they use large icons. Big deal.

Hate it - Personally, I want to keep the toolbars as small as possible, whilst maximizing the number of tools on the bar. I like to know exactly where each icon is and click on it. I also want the workspace to be as large as possible.

I have Office 2007 at work, and spend half my time trying to find commands .... There's still a large number of commands that I still can't find!
    Keith
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    There are 10 types of people in this world .... Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

I don't know why you quoted all those articles, they didn't say much at all.

Look-you obviously like this 'new' ribbon look. To me it's just a big waste of space. MS has run out of marketing gimmicks and is promoting ribbons as a big deal. Not one of those articles mentioned anything that could remotely be called a different approach.

That's it for me, I can't be bothered talking about this silly ribbon feature for another ten pages. Have fun.

not had much exposure to office 2007 - but it felt rather like word with docked palettes

probably got that all wrong
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

Quote Originally Posted by ss-kalm View Post
    Hate it - Personally, I want to keep the toolbars as small as possible, whilst maximizing the number of tools on the bar. I like to know exactly where each icon is and click on it. I also want the workspace to be as large as possible.
    +1. Could not agree more

I have Office 2007 at work, and spend half my time trying to find commands .... There's still a large number of commands that I still can't find!
    Oh, misguided one, you actually want to be productive and get some work done? Shame,shame on you, you're supposed to be staring at the boo-ti-ful ribbon interface all day!

Cheers

Doug

however on the other hand office 2007 is, I am led to believe, a big improvement in terms of productivity

I can use word 2000 in my sleep and have no need to change, but my wife likes office 2007 a lot - uses it at work and home - she likes the ribbons too [I just asked], she is not technical if that is any indication
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

When I had migrated from Office 2000 to Office 2007 I thought that I will soon get used to it and it will be even more convenient than the old one... After a year of use this assumption still hadn't materialised.
    John.

Improv, the articles I linked where meant as "visual" examples to see two type of interfaces one next to the ohter, the text had nothing to do with our discussion.

Actually I like the fluent-ribbon interface, that's why I'm asking if you people know other programs that use it.

It looks like Autodesk is implementing it in a few apps other than Autocad. 3D Studio Max 2010, Revit...