Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default Science Fiction concept art

Dear all,

I am interested in learning some concept art drawing in XARA. I currently use Xara professionally for web and printing design. I would do this as a hobby, i think it might learn me a lot of things i can eventually use in layouting as well. Since i am a scifi fan, this topic would interest me the most for the concept art.

Most of the concept art is done in bitmap programs i think.
    Is there anyone here doing these kinds of things in Xara? Or does anyone has some hints/tips, maybe some websites that would be of interest?

tanks!

Matt

Default Re: Science Fiction concept art

for some great examples of that type of art drawn using Xara go to Advanced Search,
    choose search by user nam and type in user name, swm.
    some great stuff, he has not posted for a while, wonder what he is up to
    adios
    sunland

Quote Originally Posted by killerwhale65 View Post
    Dear all,

I am interested in learning some concept art drawing in XARA. I currently use Xara professionally for web and printing design. I would do this as a hobby, i think it might learn me a lot of things i can eventually use in layouting as well. Since i am a scifi fan, this topic would interest me the most for the concept art.

Most of the concept art is done in bitmap programs i think.
    Is there anyone here doing these kinds of things in Xara? Or does anyone has some hints/tips, maybe some websites that would be of interest?

tanks!

Matt
    For some great examples of what can be done in Xara, including traditional looking drawing/illustrating, have a look at the Xara Gallery:

http://site.xara.com/gallery/

Cheers

Doug

From using both PSPXI and XX, I feel that you can create anything in Xara that you can create in a raster program. It just takes practice and getting used to the tools needed to create your style of work.

I can direct you to lots of sci-fi work in 3D aps but most of my favorite raster and vector artists create fantasy work. My suggestion would be to study other's art and get a feel for what style you like and try to recreate some of their technique so that you can eventually apply it to your work in Xara.

I'll post a couple of links to a few images that migh inspire you. Pretty sure it's ok as I don't think these links are going away anytime soon.
    http://alonchou.cgsociety.org/gallery/530702/
    http://velinov.cgsociety.org/gallery/690790/
    Things you should never say when pulled over by the police:
    Could you hold my beer while I dig out my license?

Thank you all for your links and suggestions; I will indeed need to study some other peoples work. I will try to contact member swm, as it would be most interesting to hear some techniques from someone whu uses Xara for this work.

thanks!

Matt

Sunland, thanks for mentioning swm. I've never seen his art before....outstanding work.
    Things you should never say when pulled over by the police:
    Could you hold my beer while I dig out my license?

Swm has some excellent examples posted. I wish he would visit the forums again. His last visit as swm was in January of 2005. His last visit as swm1 was in January 2006.
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    Bill is no longer with us. He died on 10 Dec 2012. We remember him always.
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update

I have contacted swm via the email address on his homepage. Lets see if i get a response.