Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hello to all,

I have some problems, using Xara X, when I want to put an accent on a letter.

Two examples :
    I want to get : â
    But when writing on Xara I obtain : ^^â

The same with ¨: ï
    that becomes : ¨¨ï

Is it because of the programs, that is in english language ? (I know this kind of letters â or ï don't exist in english !)

Thanks for your help

Hello to all,

I have some problems, using Xara X, when I want to put an accent on a letter.

Two examples :
    I want to get : â
    But when writing on Xara I obtain : ^^â

The same with ¨: ï
    that becomes : ¨¨ï

Is it because of the programs, that is in english language ? (I know this kind of letters â or ï don't exist in english !)

Thanks for your help

hello Stéphane,

there has been talk about this problem in a few other threads. I would do a search for accented characters...

Unfortunately there's nothing you can do about this. Look here:

New version, old problem

This bug occurs with some international keyboards and it is totally ignored by Xara, they never did anything about it.
    Rubem Pechansky

I've never had any problems getting accented characters. Just hold down the ALT key and use the numeric keypad to type in a 3 digit number. set. Ã* for example is alt 133.

Rgds

Colin

...In fact, see http://www.asciitable.com/ for a complete list.

Rgds

Colin

Stéphane

I too have had problems with some of the accented characters when using Xara. While the ASCII numeric input for { â } worked fine for me the ALT + 139 value produced {<} instead of the intended { ï }.

Have encountered this problem often enough so that I now copy the characters from the Window's 'Character Map'. .

And I alot of time I will edit the text in Notepad first and then copy it into Xara X1 to get around some of those 'stubborn' accented characters that XARA X1 dislikes so much... http://www.talkgraphics.com/images/smilies/smile.gif

Reji
    The WheelBrat
    ------ O
    ----- /-
    ---- ( )\\_
    The WheelBrat ~ Faisg air an Aird-a-Tuath, Canada

I to have had this problem at work when using XaraX1 and thought this problem had been sorted and foolishly printed 3000 tickets with accent letters only to watch the eighty ticket printed an "&" instead of the accented letter even after using Windows 'Character Map', it is the last time I will ever use Xara without doing one trail print.

Sometimes using Xara and printing it is still a bummer!
    Design is thinking made visual.

If you are saying that it looks OK on the screen, but prints out poorly, then this possibly points to a problem with the printer set-up then. I remember years ago just using WORDPERFECT, that we had problems printing out various characters, and this was down to interpretation of PS fonts (I think). How about producing a text stream of the accented characters and cloning it a dozen times, changing the font of each copy. This might identify which fonts are causing the problem.

I guess another work-around would be to save the Xara work as a high resolution image such as TIFF and print that - rather than sending font information to the printer.

Rgds

should have converted Text to curves... http://www.talkgraphics.com/images/smilies/wink.gif