Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Default Re: Screen Grabbing - what do you use?

I'll add SNAGIT and as Davelash mentions there's a lot to Snagit. But I can't compare with others.
    I have numerous 'complicated' GIS, Surveying software and of all my programs I use I would rate Snagit as up with the best. I use it in Vista and XP pro and have never had a snag with Snagit. Which is more than I can say for every other program (bar one) I use.
    It has a very good check for update option, doesn't appear to be intrusive in any way (privacy bit), is open to suggestions, tech support has been excellent and the cost is IMO very reasonable.
    There's much more to Snagit than just screen capture.
    It exports to many different formats.
    I would recommend it to anyone.
    regards
    Richard

I have used SnagIt for a couple of years, have been using it in my immediate workgroup, and recently introduced it across the whole department.

As others have pointed out, it can:
    Capture whole screen, user-defined region, or windows.
    Quickly add annotations (highlights, markups, notes).

But an invaluable "also" that I don't think has been mentioned yet is text captures:

Capture text from windows. (Capture as text the whole list of files in a Windows Explorer window.)

Auto-scroll the window as you capture. (Ex: capture as text the file names of 3000 PDFs that reside in a parrticular folder.)

Capture text from windows formatted as tab-delimited text, so it is ready-made to paste or import into a spreadsheet or database. For example: we have certain applications that let you perform queries that return lists of the information you need. But those applications don't let you then export the found data to a file. With SnagIt, I can swipe the found data in the window to capture it as tab-delimited text, and then paste it into a spreadsheet and/or import it into a FileMaker database to further process it as I need.

Think that's only applicable to a corporate environment? Not so. How many years (decades) have Mac users taken for granted the simple ability to print the contents of a Finder window (for example, to print a list of the files you copied to a disk to give to your freelance customer)? SnagIt lets Windows users do that (and more).

JET

Snagging with SnagIt too... all day long.

This is one of these programs that's worth more than you pay...like Xara X and Web Designer. One of my favorites.

Tom

I just usually print screen if there is something I need for the net. If I need a screeen capture for print then I use corel capture (Hey, I got it with CD9, many eons ago).

I like what I have been reading here about snagit. I will have to try that out.
    John Rayner
    For my Photography see:
    http://www.draginet.com
    Facebook

Hi,
    Corel Capture here...
    Jim

Wish this could have been a poll. Need some ammo to encourage Xara to include a native screen capture module in Xtreme.
    If someone tried to make me dig my own grave I would say No.
    They're going to kill me anyway and I'd love to die the way I lived:
    Avoiding Manual Labour.

I use CaptureWiz from http://www.capturewiz.com/ , I find it's "Sticky Notes" feature invaluable. Sticky Notes are captures that say on top of everything else and may be moved about.

Very useful for keeping some info onscreen whilst referring to it when some other window has focus.

I also use stick notes as shields to hide annoying animations when reading from a site that's covered in ads.

Quote Originally Posted by DD View Post
    I also use stick notes as shields to hide annoying animations when reading from a site that's covered in ads.
    I use the Web Developer extension for Firefox. In one click you can disable just about anything.

Screen Capture taken using PicPick
    Last edited by Big Frank; 16 April 2009 at 12:24 PM.
    If someone tried to make me dig my own grave I would say No.
    They're going to kill me anyway and I'd love to die the way I lived:
    Avoiding Manual Labour.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Frank View Post
    Many Xartists, especially those of us who create tutorials, use screen grabs a lot. The built-in way is to hit Ctrl + PrntScr or Alt + PrntScr and then paste the image into your working file, but there are better ways to do it using any one of the many little utilities out there. Vista comes with its own built in which isn't bad, but it's fairly limited and I have used two little Utilities before, both of which I liked but both of which were buggy, "Captureur" and "FGWndGrab Screen Grab Utility".

1. What do you use?

2. Don't you think it would be great if Xtreme incorporated its own screen grab function?
    I use Snagit but a very good - and a FREEWARE one - is called Gadwin Printscreen and is available here
    Last edited by steve.ledger; 06 April 2009 at 09:35 PM. Reason: Restored deleted post - not spam

Print Screen does the job most of the time for me, and for those times when something a little more clever is useful, Corel Capture 9 (which I probably use more than CorelDraw 9 itself). Why as old as Version 9? (1) Not convinced that I would gain significantly by upgrading (2) 9 seems as stable a release as Corel have ever managed (3) seem to use CorelDraw less and less as Xara evolved...

Jon