Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default Device-independent Bitmap ??

In XX4, when paste offers the options: Device-independent Bitmap or Bitmap. What is the difference? I find no reference in Xara help files.

Bev

Default Re: Device-independent Bitmap ??

Hi Bev,

A Device Independent Bitmap (DIB) usually refers to a memory block that has been structured to conform with Windows API specifications for a DIB.
    http://www.herdsoft.com/ti/davincie/imex3j8i.htm

I think that the bitmap option may be using the generic term for any raster image type. This could be a jpg, gif, png, etc. according to the format of the original image source.
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    Bill is no longer with us. He died on 10 Dec 2012. We remember him always.
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update

Quote Originally Posted by Soquili View Post
    A Device Independent Bitmap (DIB) usually refers to a memory block that has been structured to conform with Windows API specifications for a DIB.
    *chuckle* I bet you wish you hadn't asked now! I have no idea what the above means, I just know that I always click on "Bitmap" because if I click on the other one it doesn't paste as I want it to.
    If someone tried to make me dig my own grave I would say No.
    They're going to kill me anyway and I'd love to die the way I lived:
    Avoiding Manual Labour.

the only difference I have ever noticed in practice is the resolution at which the import is made..
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

Yep, I'm sorry I asked ! Next time I ask a question like that, just tell me " You don't wanna know!"

It asks it because the developers couldn't decide, so they thought they'd kick the decision off to a bunch of people they knew wouldn't be able to decide either.

It's quite a popular technique in software development.

If I remember, it's because the default works in most applications, but not all (some old ones), where you have to select the other. Essentially the application that sourced the image says what formats it can support, then the user gets to choose between them; if the application says it can support format X but its support is buggy, then the paste can cause problems.

From the Xara Xtreme Pro 4 Help file:
    Some programs can transfer data on the clipboard in two or more formats. If this applies, the menu option reads Paste Special. Selecting it brings up a dialog box that lets you select a format. Xtreme Pro automatically highlights the recommended format.
    Practically speaking, I second the observation made by handrawn, "The only difference I have ever noticed in practice is the resolution at which the import is made."

FWIW, I usually just pick 'Bitmap' and don't give it another thought. I suggest you try pasting using both options and then pick whichever option makes you happier from there on out.

Also, when copying and pasting directly from CorelDRAW you are presented with several other options including:
    • Corel 32-bit Presentation Exchange
    • Enhanced Metafile
    • Corel Presentation Exchange

In this case, picking from the various options DOES make a difference when pasting into Xtreme. Some times the differences are negligible, and other times drastic and/or undesirable. Pasting from other applications may result in other options being presented and isn't as cut-and-dry as a plain ol' bitmap/raster image.

IHTH,
    HayTay
    Last edited by HayTay; 04 April 2009 at 06:24 PM. Reason: Added explanation from CorelDRAW and other applications.