Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Question XWD Sites on Bberry & Mobile Devices

Hi

I've been using (and loving!) XWD since launch day. I've made several sites already that are up and live (see below). I've noticed that even on the latest BlackBerry devices the pages don't display correctly (the left side of the page is lost).

Does anyone have any tips/guidelines on this? It would be great if I could get sites to correctly display as many folks are now mobile browsing.

Many thanks

Selbi

Examples
    http://www.templarprint.co.uk
    http://www.cmlg.co.uk
    IP

Info Re: XWD Sites on Bberry & Mobile Devices

OK

I've looked into this some more and it's the negative left margin that causes the trouble. Removing it from the code fixes the problem but I'm guessing this will cause some bad issues?

(code I've messed with)
    <!--[if !IE]>--><div class="xr_ap" id="xr_xr" style="width: 640px; height: 480px; top:0px; left:50%; margin-left: -320px; clip: rect(0px, 640px, 480px, 0px);"><!--<![endif]-->

I removed - margin-left: -320px;

Site appears the same but works on Blackberry...

Any comments on this.

CHEERS

Selbi
    IP

Default Re: XWD Sites on Bberry & Mobile Devices

Hi Selbi,

Is this the only issue with displaying sites on your mobile device? (the left side truncated)
    Do you see all the visible graphics correctly?
    Do links work correctly?
    John.
    IP

Yes

In fact the sites (as long as optimised correctly in XWD) load really fast too. The only problem is the truncated left side. It's a shame because otherwise the sites display really well. I have a Blackberry 8900, the browser is actually pretty good. I've only found this problems so far with XWD.

CHEERS

Selbi
    IP

The problem seems to be that the browser on your mobile device does not support some CSS properties correctly.

I have tested your site with Opera 8.65 for Windows Mobile and it works well.

The following updates of the WD may produce pages that will work fine in your browser because we have changed page centering method.
    John.
    IP

Hey thanks for your response.

I suspected that it may be an issue with the Bberry browser (in fairness, it does display most websites really well). Great news about the new centering method - crossed fingers that will solve this problem. Any ideas when it might be done?

CHEERS

Selbi
    IP

Smile Re: XWD Sites on Bberry & Mobile Devices

Tried it with my Blackberry Storm and all looks good used the screen sideways, not sure what you are seing on yours but the title and text are totally on the left but all there to read. Nice job.
    'I Walk SLOWWWWLY BUT NEVER WALK BACKWARDS'
    IP

Blackberrys are known for not implementing proper page display very well, at least on the earlier models. I was always frustrated with page display on my BB. For whatever reason, BB decided to do a half-implementation of coding standards and CSS compliance without going to the full mobile phone display standard.
    IP

I'm afraid on my phone the cmlg site comes up with a large black square with a white border at the top of the page. Obviously the background to the image. I think mobile browsers handle web sites very differently. I'd try creating a specific site aimed at mobiles which are basically text as you can't guarantee how they'll look across the many mobile browsers.

Does anyone no of a site that you could test how sites look on different mobile browsers?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	!jpg.jpg 
Views:	175 
Size:	26.1 KB 
ID:	58246  
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host
    IP

Quote Originally Posted by Egg Bramhill View Post
    Does anyone no of a site that you could test how sites look on different mobile browsers?
    http://mtld.mobi/emulator.php

http://www.barkleyus.com/wap * this gives me a 'Not Licensed for this use' error
    Last edited by steve.ledger; 28 March 2009 at 04:37 AM.
    IP