Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Thread: file size

Default file size

When working on an image what is the best file size to work with to get a good paint effect. I assume that you don't really want a big file size from a high res image. For example if I have an image at 300dpi 15cm x 10cm what size would this image be best resampled at for Painter.
    IP

Default Re: file size

Hi ozmacman,

An image that's 15 cm x 10 cm at 300 ppi is the equivalent of:

5.907 x 3.937 inches at 300 ppi, or

1772 x 1181 pixels at 300 ppi

It would print a high quality but quite small image.

It's better to begin the image at dimensions either the same as what you want in the final print or closer to the dimensions you want in the final print and using a Resolution of 300 ppi, as resampling to make it larger once it's completed can reduce the image quality. Of course the degree to which loss of image quality will occur depends on how much larger you make the image when resampling, what kind of image it is (i.e. soft watercolor or fine sharp detail), how large it will be printed, on what surface it will be printed, and where it will be printed (on your desktop printer or at a print shop).

At what dimensions to you want to print the image?

If you're going to have it printed at a print shop, talk to the print shop expert before beginning the image to get some pointers rather than waiting until it may be too late.

Good luck!

Jinny
    Jinny Brown
    Visit PixelAlley and The PainterFactory
    Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day.
    Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime. Chinese Proverb
    IP