Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default Basic Questions About XWD

1. When I was creating my first web site in XWD I saved it in Document - GregorystenotypeXWD.web and also saved it on my desktop. When I did export web site I saved Index in Documents. When I saved a movie from Frontpage 2003 I put the html in a Placeholder and saved it in Documents. Now I have three separate documents: GregorysenothypeXWD.web, Index, and GregorystenotypeXWD_web_files. How do I get them all in one folder? What is the procedure?

2. When I look in Program Files under Xara Web Designer I can't find my files. Where are they located and how do I do a backup?

3. My browser is Internet Explorer and I could not watch video's in FireFox so I did a plug-in and now all my files seem to be saved in FireFox. How do I get them back to Internet Explorer?

4. When I do export preview I can't see the video playing. How do I solve this?

5. When I created page 2 in XWD I used a different template from Communication Theme and did "arrange - update repeating objects" and nothing changed. How does this work? Do I do a copy and paste from my first page to the second, third etc?

I have been using Webstyle 4 and everything worked great - Guess you can see I am having problems with XWD. I am looking forward to your reply.

Sheila
    IP

Default Re: Basic Questions About XWD

Wow Sheila, that's a lot of questions/problems. Welcome by the way.

I can't tell you how to set up your filenames/structure but how about this:
    Documents/WebSites/XWD/greg1/index.htm

Not 100% sure re the also save to desktop. I think you may be creating 2 different files here.

When I did export web site I saved Index in Documents
    You're better off saving it to the same folder as the scource web file

In my example above it would be saved:
    Documents/WebSites/XWD/greg1/

Re the Frontpage Movie this also needs to be saved to a common folder. By default XWD creates a folder called index_htm_files (persuming you've named your site file index)
    This would be an ideal place to save your Frontpage Movie.

Documents/WebSites/XWD/greg1/index_htm_files/

Hope this helps you ..... to be quite honest this late at night it's starting to confuse even me ;-)
    Egg

Minis Forum UM780XTX AMD Ryzen7 7840HS with AMD Radeon 780M Graphics + 32 GB Ram + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + 1Tb SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host
    IP

Greeting Sheila,

Take a look at the Community Guide (see my signature). While not addressing those questions directly I'm sure there be a few answers of other questions in there for you.
    IP

Sheila,

You're making this way too complicated.

Create one folder (anywhere) and save/put everything there.

You will see:

1. Your Web Designer file: Named whatever you named it.

After you export/publish you will see:

2. A folder named: index_html_files. (WD creates this folder automatically when you export/publish your files. It contains all you other files that makes up your website). You will not see this folder until you export or publish your site.

3. Your htm files created when you export/publish you WD site. Name it index. WD will name addition pages index_1, index_2 etc. You will see:

index
    index_1
    index_2 (and so on, depending how many pages you have). When you work on your site and make changes and export again you will overwrite these files.

4. plus other files like images and media files

So everything is in one folder.

For you video:
    Draw a rectangle same size as you video. Place this rectangle where you want your video to show. Right click this rectangle >Web Properties> Placeholder> Select Replace with Flash* (if you have a flash movie swf). Browse to you folder (you must put your video file in your folder first). Select the video file. Click Apply and OK.

*If you do not have flash you need to get the html code from you video and past it into the Web Properties> Placeholder>Replace with HTML code.
    But, try to get you videos converted to flash.

For you 2nd page you can either duplicate your first and edit out what you don't want. Or you can start with a new page. Select what you want on this page from your first page and use the Arrange > repeat in all pages. Or just copy and paste.

In regards to your no 3, I'm not sure what you mean.

Hope this helps.

Anyone...feel free to clearify this. I wrote this very early and quickly.

Tom
    IP