Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: converting to pdf

I know, but these people are also the same ones who will happily give their credit card numbers to unknown callers, give out their email address password to anybody who asks, and who have difficulty bringing a spoon up to their mouth without spilling soup all over their shirt. Their shirts are always dirty because they also cannot work a washing machine - even the ones in launderettes that have instructions written in idiotese. It's no great loss to the onward and upward march of human progress that such people cannot read a PDF. If they could by some miracle of evolution open the PDF they probably would be able to work out how to flick to the second page anyway, so it's wasted on them.

Why do people like that have computers?
    If someone tried to make me dig my own grave I would say No.
    They're going to kill me anyway and I'd love to die the way I lived:
    Avoiding Manual Labour.

Big Frank: Very well said But then, it's also those people who need anti-virus programs which make their computers three times as slow, which makes them buy a three times faster computer, thus supporting our economy, so, try to see something positive in everything
    Alexander Ewering
    instinctive mediaworks

Valid point. Time for me to shut up! http://mail.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/i/m...ticons7/65.gif
    Avoiding Manual Labour.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Frank View Post
    Why do people like that have computers?
    "Because it's cool!" (c)
    John.

In general, nowadays computers are EVERYWHERE and in places where they are ABSOLUTELY unnecessary and just a burden - the perfect example for me: CARS. Yes, in any car built after 2002, even the horn is computer-controlled (which manifests itself in a very noticable (and potentially deadly) 300 ms delay between pressing the button and sounding the horn). I've talked to an engineer working with (now defunct) Opel, and asked him why the hell they were doing it. "Because they think it's cool!"

OK, but I think we've taken this far enough away from "on-topic" now
    Alexander Ewering
    instinctive mediaworks

Quote Originally Posted by Big Frank View Post
    We're talking about a club newsletter...

If a PDF proves too large to email out (something that is quite possible) then upload it to some free web hosting and email your subscribers, providing a download link...
    That's an excellent way to cut down on your readership.

Even those who know very well how to click a link have to be motivated to take the
    time to do so. I have to want the information in the newsletter very badly before I'll go after it like that.

As for the file size issue, I know people who still have dial up, even here in the metropolitan New York area. In fact, one of my good friends has just scrapped broadband and gone back to dial up. Moreover, broadband isn't universally available in the US. Then you have the people who access the web via their cellphones.

Size has been and continues to be an issue to large segments of the computer-using population.
    Last edited by Soquili; 07 April 2009 at 04:55 PM. Reason: added missing bracket on QUOTE tag

Quote Originally Posted by amoore View Post
    That's an excellent way to cut down on your readership.
    I don't see why. If you know your audience's demographics you can keep them all happy.

In fact, one of my good friends has just scrapped broadband and gone back to dial up.
    I fail to see what that has to do with this . If your friend chooses to revert to a model T Ford, is that a reason for lowering the max speed limit on motorways to 45mph? It's totally irrelevant!

Moreover, broadband isn't universally available in the US.
    For a second I thought you were going to say "world", but then I remembered...

But you're right, few people in the third world have broadband, in fact most of the world doesn't even have dial-up. However, that's irrelevant as well. Because as far as I understand it, the OP is creating a leaflet for a market he knows:
    I do a newsletter for our club on Xara Xtreme...
    Nobody else matters. They're not his intended audience.
    Avoiding Manual Labour.