Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Default Re: XXP4 really takes the work out of simple 3D

Sigh. Between trying to teach myself HTML/CSS, trying to learn the ins and outs of XX4, not even having had time to fire up XWD since I bought it, and my thinking about upgrading my LightWave to v9 I just don't see trueSpace wedging itself into my schedule. It'll even get worse when my two golf leagues kick in a few weeks from now.
    "You can't be a real country unless you have a beer and an airline - it helps if you have some kind of a football team, or some nuclear weapons, but at the very least you need a beer." -- Frank Zappa
    Visit Spinland Studios: http://www.spinlandstudios.com

There are two ways to create depth maps, the 3D applications way and the hard way. I have always chosen the hard way. Stereographic Suite can create some simple depth maps using a series of primitives. But as I said, I just don't mesh with these programs. I know what I want to do and it is just a matter of being a poor man's 3D ray tracing machine.

This is a work in progress for my next stereogram. Actually I have created two Zippo stereograms but I was not real happy with the drawing so I am putting more effort into this one. And if this one does not work, I'll start over again.

I tried Sketchup on Ross's recommendation. I even invested some bucks in a Dummy's book. But that's about as far as I got.

I have said this before, I do not have the focus or the patience to do my own tutorials, let alone someone else's.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	zippo-depth.jpg 
Views:	242 
Size:	15.1 KB 
ID:	58148  

Talking Re: XXP4 really takes the work out of simple 3D

Quote Originally Posted by amoore View Post
    I'm so relieved that you posted both versions of the images, jclements. I couldn't figure out why you had eggs flying over Florida.

This really made me laugh!!!

made my afternoon!

THX

Quote Originally Posted by Spinny View Post
    and my thinking about upgrading my LightWave to v9 I

Hi I once was a 3D modeler for logos in Lightwave (in an amiga! in 1996) and loved it, since then life and work... has changed my creative ways but I do still would love to have a use (and a powerful computer) to do some 3D logos and rendering again...

Quote Originally Posted by esanabri View Post
    Hi I once was a 3D modeler for logos in Lightwave (in an amiga! in 1996) and loved it, since then life and work... has changed my creative ways but I do still would love to have a use (and a powerful computer) to do some 3D logos and rendering again...
    I hear you. brother. It's hard finding time to indulge the creative juices. I had a lucrative (and fun) gig doing technical illustrations in Rhino but it only lasted so long and since then my day job has been more software-oriented pursuits. I miss getting paid to model all day. If you do ever decide to get back into LightWave, PM me and I'll hook you up with a (completely legal and Newtek-sanctioned) way to get back into it a lot cheaper than retail. Only down side is you can't use LW for commercial gain unless you pay extra. Since I only use it as a hobbyist it works for me. If ever I get a paying LightWave gig I'll pay the license upgrade fee with a huge smile on my face.

DISCLAIMER: I have no affiliation with Newtek other than being a happy user of their stuff. I'd gain nothing by my referral besides knowing I made someone else happy. This is true of any software recommendation I might make.
    "You can't be a real country unless you have a beer and an airline - it helps if you have some kind of a football team, or some nuclear weapons, but at the very least you need a beer." -- Frank Zappa
    Visit Spinland Studios: http://www.spinlandstudios.com

Quote Originally Posted by esanabri View Post
    This really made me laugh!!!

made my afternoon!
    Glad to be of service. That's the way I felt about the eggs once I saw what John was doing.

It does sound wonderfully silly.

Alison, come to think of it, I should have put the SU image of Forida under the modified Xara version.

Think Before and After Global Warming (hard boiled eggs over Disney World).

Quote Originally Posted by jclements View Post
    think before and after global warming (hard boiled eggs over disney world).

Actually, I was thinking it should be a sci-fi short for YouTube.

You can get some nice effects with the extrude tool.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Simple3D.jpg 
Views:	135 
Size:	8.0 KB 
ID:	59004  
    Attached Files Attached Files