Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default XXP4 really takes the work out of simple 3D

I mean that seriously. Xara Xtreme Pro 4 really takes the work out of the limited amount of 3D I ever have to do. I design for a living but the nature of my work, or maybe the nature of the market I work in means I very rarely use the 3D apps I have in my collection. I haven't used Bryce or Truespace in an age, or X3D for that matter, although I have it installed.

I recently posted an image in a thread about making text look 3D and as an exercise, discovered how easy it is to create what used to be a very lengthy and tedious effect. Well I've been playing again and have come up with this. Although there's still a problem with perspective, it satisfies my limited needs and, frankly, looks damn good considering it required no 3D skills (working in 3 dimensions can be very challenging):

http://i598.photobucket.com/albums/t...ara/XXP4-1.png

I know it's not a vector image, but as long as you stay in XX4D you can resize it, manipulate it however you want and you'll still retain the effects (because of course it contains Live Effects). People spend a lot of time bemoaning the variety of functions missing from XXP4, but I am still impressed with what they have done and continue to do with good old Xara.
    Last edited by Big Frank; 24 March 2009 at 11:42 PM.
    If someone tried to make me dig my own grave I would say No.
    They're going to kill me anyway and I'd love to die the way I lived:
    Avoiding Manual Labour.

Default Re: XXP4 really takes the work out of simple 3D

I'm just psyched someone invoked trueSpace. I bought v5 many years ago, before I got drawn in by the joys of Rhino. I rarely hear anything about it.
    "You can't be a real country unless you have a beer and an airline - it helps if you have some kind of a football team, or some nuclear weapons, but at the very least you need a beer." -- Frank Zappa
    Visit Spinland Studios: http://www.spinlandstudios.com

Unless you're churning out regular 3D work (and you have the time to do so) you keep have to relearn the quirky interfaces of all these 3D products. Truespace was my last venture into that grey and fuzzy third dimension. I never tried Rhino or 3DMax or any of the other whizzbangers out there. I suspect I would have enjoyed them, but illness and the needs of my wallet meant I have had to concentrate on paying work (and in my leisure time I play with wood!).
    Avoiding Manual Labour.

Yeah, I'm all about 3D work. I got XX just to be a tool for auto-tracing curves for import into Rhino (with a cheaper price tag than Illustrator).

I've probably used every mainstream modeler out there, and there is definite culture shock moving between interfaces. To me Rhino has far and away the best of the lot, while Max is one of the klunkiest. I mostly move between Rhino and LightWave, which is better than Max but has its own klunkiness (but a killer rendering engine). Truespace is charmingly weird.
    "You can't be a real country unless you have a beer and an airline - it helps if you have some kind of a football team, or some nuclear weapons, but at the very least you need a beer." -- Frank Zappa

Quote Originally Posted by Spinny View Post
    Truespace is charmingly weird.
    I'd happily second that
    Avoiding Manual Labour.

Isn't it funny, I've tried most 3D apps and always revert back to trusty ole
    3DMax. The workflow for me is more logical. Each to his/her own. I use it on a daily basis.

Yeah, I realize legions of people love Max. I'm guessing it comes down to the tools you either "grew up with" or use so often their flow becomes second nature. I just took to Rhino almost instinctively, whereas with LightWave I had to learn the interface somewhat painfully. In the case of Max I was forced to animate using it for format reasons but ended modeling outside and importing only to do the animations. I just never "took" to the command layering concept, I guess. Like you say, everyone's mileage varies.

I have never gotten the hang of 3D applications. My brain just does not function that way. I could save myself so much time if I could master one of these programs because it takes me hours and sometimes days to create the depth images I need for my stereograms. Depth images are what 3D applications use to determine depth and also how stereogram programs generate the hidden 3D image.

Are there any applications that work with plan drawings (front, side, top view) or is that old technology?

Rhino very much works with three-views. Unlike most 3D modeling software, it's aimed specifically at rapid prototyping: it outputs to milling machines and the like as well as more traditional rendered output. Its largest user base is arenas like marine design, automotive, and jewelry design. You can also get perfectly orthographic renders, unlike with film-oriented applications like LightWave.

I did flight sim aircraft for years, starting from 3-view blueprints. Rhino also has the best handling of inserting background bitmaps for building from of any app I've used. Most apps (including Max) require you to build flat planes to size and texture them with the images to use as backdrops. Rhino puts them in as part of the view, and you can zoom in and scale/place them very precisely against the grids.

Sounding like a shill for McNeel, but I really love their stuff. I use it even when working with NURBS is a pain, such as in low-poly gaming models.

Andover, Massachusetts, USA, Earth, Milky Way, Universe

Quote Originally Posted by gwpriester View Post
    Are there any applications that work with plan drawings (front, side, top view) or is that old technology?
    Gary,

Did you ever try SketchUp?

I'm curious if that would do what you need.

I'm so fascinated by the Stereograms that you do - I'd love to find an inexpensive way to make some of my own.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    -h
    ===============
    (a.k.a.) Bobby Harris