Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Prince Edward Island, Canada --- The land of lawn tractors

Default Re: Text Justification

As John (Covoxer) noted above, the issue for the developers with full (left+right) justification is the results aren't necessarily going to display WYSIWYG in all browsers - so they intentionally left the option out.

We are free to use the workarounds noted but be aware those viewing your websites might not be seeing what you are. If someone has the time I suppose they could do some tests with many different browsers and investigate the implications.

Regards, Ross

Quote Originally Posted by nickydude View Post
    Also, if You have MS Word you can justify the text in there and then cut and paste to WD.
    Excellent tip.

Quote Originally Posted by ss-kalm View Post
    I think there's a lot more involved than just pasting in fully justified text, or Xara would have added that in without a problem.
    There really isn't, honestly. CSS justification works great, and there is only the very slightest difference in how browsers display it. But, please remember, that each browser displays HTML differently, too, so there will never ever be complete WYSIWYG layout unless you use Flash or a static image.

Extreme (and all my versions of Xara before it) has a simple button for justification, it would have been great if they had included it (and all it needed was a simple warning that it might not be absolutely perfect.)

Quote Originally Posted by GregWallis View Post
    there is only the very slightest difference in how browsers display it.
    Right. But this slightest difference is enough to wrap the line at the wrong word, as a result add one more line to the paragraph which will overlap with whatever is below.
    John.

Which is why you must come to terms with the reality of HTML/different browsers. There's no perfect solution, sadly. You have the choice of playing safe, or not — it's your call. All I was asking for was the choice.

Which is why you must come to terms with the reality of HTML/different browsers.
    We do. And we have no problems to have wysiwyg text while it's not justified.
    All I was asking for was the choice.
    You don't realize the reason why it's ok for usual authoring tools and not ok for WD? Well, I can explain - with typical HTML it's not a tragedy to have one extra line in paragraph, because all that's below will simply move down. No overlapping risk. With WD it is almost guaranteed to ruin the design.
    It's not the choice you are thinking about.
    But I may be wrong, and it may suit you. In this case simply use it!
    John.

Just a little bit of thought in your page design will ensure that any potential problems will be negated. I'm very used to pixel precise layout, having used the layer facilities in Dreamweaver when it first came out. Actually, I'm rather impressed the way that Xara has implemented precise positioning in WD.

Thanks Nickydude. That works great for me. Glad I have the right programs!!!
    'I Walk SLOWWWWLY BUT NEVER WALK BACKWARDS'