Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Do you use an art pad?

I see phenomenal artwork produced by this group ... (I hate you all!)
    As I watch the tutorials, many of you experts appear to be using a mouse to produce this amazing stuff. Are you actually drawing with a mouse, or do you use an art pad.
    Do you recommend software other than XaraX, Painter and Adobe?
    Last edited by bev mcquain; 16 March 2009 at 09:28 AM. Reason: Clarifying

Default Re: Do you use an art pad?

Hi Bev.
    This subject is very popular and has been asked many times.
    It's all comes down to a preference- but you have to try a graphics tablet/digitizer to know if it suits you
    The WACOM Bamboo has been a popular choice due to it being very affordable for the first time user and very cool..

Here's a Poll from 2007 which will help answer your question.

I use a Wacom-something-or-other when I'm working with photographs masking around objects etc, but for drawing I invariably use a mouse and the shape editor tool to construct basic shapes and rely on fill to provide the final shape and form of what I'm "trying" to produce. Nearly all this will be in Xara; if I have to use anything else I feel I’ve failed.
    When it comes to drawing with a tablet I find I don't like the feel of the pen on the plastic surface and the way you have to deselect lines as you go which is just an unatural break in the flow of drawing.
    Derek

Quote Originally Posted by masque View Post
    ...When it comes to drawing with a tablet I find I don't like the feel of the pen on the plastic surface...
    I'd go along with that, Derek. I find it helps to tape a piece of paper over the drawing surface of the tablet to reduce the "slippery" feel you mention.
    Saludos,
    Bob.
    ** Detailed "Create A Spinning Logo Tutorial" is available in .pdf format for download at this link **
    Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx.

Quote Originally Posted by iamtheblues View Post
    I'd go along with that, Derek. I find it helps to tape a piece of paper over the drawing surface of the tablet to reduce the "slippery" feel you mention.
    Saludos,
    Bob.
    ...and blue tak to hold the esc key down to deselect lines;...but its still not the same as a pencil on paper.
    Derek

Don't hate us because we're such great artists.

Mouse.

Hi Bev

I use both the mouse and a Walcom Bamboo Tablet for drawing. For doing very fine work, I prefer the tablet, which I've been using for over a year now.
    It took me about a month to get used to it but now I can't do without it and use it more than the mouse! The surface of the bamboo that I bought is not too slippery. I find it very natural to use unlike Dereks experience.

Hope this helps...

Michele

Bev, I use a Wacom Intuos2 tablet, 6x8" size. I started out with a mouse and then was a bit leary going to a tablet fearing that I'd pay all this money and end up not using it. But now that I am accustomed to it, I'd never go back! You might want to get the Bamboo pad as it is less expensive and you really don't need all that many pressure sensitive levels for Xtreme.

I am saving my pennies for a Wacom Cintiq 12WX where you draw and look at the tablet. That should speed up things even more.

Zeb said:
    "saving my pennies for a Wacom Cintiq 12WX"

Zeb;
    Drop everything, go into debt, steal if you have to, but Get the Cintiq 12WX !
    It is a fantastic piece of technology. I wouldn't want to be without mine.
    Bev

Sunshine Coast BC, Canada. In a beautiful part of BC's temperate rainforest

I use both a Wacom Graphire 3 and the mouse. I find for simple shapes the mouse and the shape editor tool are better, but for sketching or more complicated lines I prefer the pen. Also as Derek mentioned something to hold down the escape key helps greatly when sketching. ( I have a small rock)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    My current Xara software: Designer Pro 365 12.6

Good Morning Sunshine.ca | Good Morning Sunshine Online(a weekly humorous publication created with XDP and exported as a web document) | Angelize Online resource shop | My Video Tutorials | My DropBox |
    Autocorrect: It can be your worst enema.