Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Fixed Footer

Default Fixed Footer

Many sites use a fixed footer with company contact info, text navigation links, and copyright notice. The footer is always pegged to the bottom of the browser window, no matter how much content there is above and no matter how large the browser window.

An example of how it is typically done is here:

http://qrayg.com/learn/code/footerstick/

With demo here:

http://qrayg.com/experiment/footerstick/

Note that there is a more reliable method linked here: http://www.themaninblue.com/experiment/footerStickAlt/

I have used this concept a number of times. I have not experimented enough with XWD to know if there is a way to do this, but I suspect not.

Can anyone verify, one way or the other?
    Last edited by StevenWWinters; 16 March 2009 at 09:36 AM.

Default Re: Fixed Footer

Quote Originally Posted by StevenWWinters View Post
    Many sites use a fixed footer with company contact info, text navigation links, and copyright notice. The footer is always pegged to the bottom of the browser window, no matter how much content there is above and no matter how large the browser window.

I have used this concept a number of times. I have not experimented enough with XWD to know if there is a way to do this, but I suspect not.

Can anyone verify, one way or the other?
    Look here on XWD's Google doc

EDIT: I seem to have some difficulties (intranet settings or something) with the link, so if you have problems use this http://docs.google.com/Doc?id=dczbrf...ite_In_6_Steps. Scroll to the top where the "Summary Manual Topics" are listed. Close to the bottom of this table of contents, there is a link to headers/footers.
    Last edited by Boy; 16 March 2009 at 10:48 AM.

What if your create rectangle to represent the footprint of the footer. Make it repel text. Put it on the bottom of the page [EDIT] on the topmost layer[/EDIT}. I believe XWD will take care of the rest.
    Last edited by jclements; 16 March 2009 at 01:24 PM. Reason: see [EDIT] above

Quote Originally Posted by jclements View Post
    What if your create rectangle to represent the footprint of the footer. Make it repel text. Put it on the bottom of the page. I believe XWD will take care of the rest.
    The problem, I believe, is when the page content is less than the browser height. If you size the browser window larger than the content, the footer should stick to the bottom of the browser window and leave a gap between any content and the top of the footer. Essentially, the content area between the header and footer "stretches" to fill the browser window, with the header and footer pegged to the top and bottom respectively. Also, maximum browser height varies depending upon monitor size and resolution.

Because XWD output is fixed in nature, I don't think you can accomplish this, but perhaps I am missing something...

I believe that if you place the footer at the bottom of the page where you want it, and make it a repeating object, it will apply at the bottom of each page at the same distance from the bottom.

The new Arrange > Repeat on all pages command will do this automatically. However, if you make the page longer you will need to either move the footer, or reapply the Repeat on all pages command.

Try the attached.

I created a blank second page which is not the same size as the first.

Click on the Footer on pg 1 (it is a repeatable, soft group with repel and placed on the topmost layer named Footer).
    Then Arrange >> Repeat on all pages.
    Check pg2. The footer is placed at the same position relative to the footer on pg1.

The only thing I see as confusing or could be improved upon, when there is more than one page is if you shorten pg1, then the footer dissappears because there is no place in the pasteboard for the footer to be displayed and you are given a message.

I would hope that in a future release (soon) there could be a footer attribute that could be applied to an object, group, or softgroup to prevent it from dropping below the bottom of any page.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Quote Originally Posted by jclements View Post
    Try the attached.
    In your example, the footer still is not pegged to the bottom of the browser. Resize your browser so that it is taller than the content (assuming your screen size and resolution allow).

You will see that the space between the text "Paragraph 2. Now is the time for ..." and the footer does not grow as the browser height increases. But the space between the footer and the bottom of the browser does grow.

Here's a less cluttered example than I previously posted that demonstrates the correct behavior. Resize the height of your browser window and you will see the footer never has space below it and the bottom of the browser window. The space between the top of the footer and the content above, is what grows.

http://www.dave-woods.co.uk/wp-conte...ed-footer.html

Hi Steven,

this is possible with flexible layouts and the right usage of CSS, but not with static layouts. If you want to rebuild this effect with static layouts (absolute positionized tags), you have to code a little bit with JavaScript.

Remi

Quote Originally Posted by remi View Post
    this is possible with flexible layouts and the right usage of CSS, but not with static layouts.
    Yes, that is what I assumed, but wanted to make sure I wasn't missing something in XWD that would allow for it.

Thx...
    Last edited by StevenWWinters; 16 March 2009 at 06:40 PM.

Ah, I see now. Key word is browser window.