Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Resizing text in browser on XWD website

Hi ORG,

The problem ocurrs because your file is using text lines with hard returns rather than drawing a text area first (draw a rectangle with the 'T'ext tool (you will see a red dotted outline), then enter your text into that area.).

Quote Originally Posted by sledger View Post
    Hi ORG,

The problem ocurrs because your file is using text lines with hard returns rather than drawing a text area first (draw a rectangle with the 'T'ext tool (you will see a red dotted outline), then enter your text into that area.).
    Thanks, sledger. That solved the problem, but I had to either retype or remove the hard returns outside of XWD.

I selected the problem text, cut it to the clipboard, drew the text area with the T tool, pasted the text into the box, then attempted to remove the hard returns and add a space with the delete key and the space bar. That method did not remove the hard returns from the existing text, and the page did not format properly in the browser.

I then retyped the text into an empty rectangle drawn with the T tool. That formatted properly when opened in the browser.

I also tried copying the original text to an external text editor, removed the hard returns there, then copied and pasted back into an empty text box in XWD, and that formatted properly in the browser.

I am used to pasting text from external sources into XXP4 and removing hard returns for proper text flow. Was a bit surprised that I couldn't do it in pasted text in XWD. A little quirk in the application, perhaps.

A search of the XWD Help file did not turn up any reference to Hard Returns in text. A short reference there might be helpful to designers who are redoing existing websites and need to copy and paste text from those sites.

And my thanks again to you and the other knowledgeable folks who take time to assist here on this forum. Xara Web Designer is a genuinely innovative product!

OldRadioGuy

Xara Designer Pro X10; PaintShop Pro X7; Perfect Photo Suite 8; DxO Optics Pro 9.5; Olympus OM-5 E-M5; Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit; 3.40 gigahertz Intel Core i7-3770; 16 GB RAM; AMD Radeon HD 7770.

I was psyched with the possibility of doing all my site work in XWD, until I found this text resizing problem in my browser. And then I saw this post, and thought all was good. But this fix only takes care of the "page zoom" effect as far as I can tell.

My text all runs off the right side of the page when the browser "view - text zoom" option is adjusted over 100%. I see this in Mozilla Seamonkey, and Safari. When I try to increase the text in IE 7 NOTHING happens at all?! I haven't tested other browsers yet.

Is there a way to have the text naturally run to the next line like it does in all the other html and php programs when you increase text zoom?

Quote Originally Posted by mvpdigital View Post
    When I try to increase the text in IE 7 NOTHING happens at all?!
    Have you tried Ctrl+Mouse wheel (or Ctrl +) to zoom in?
    Works fine in IE7 for WD created site:
    http://webdesigner.xara.com/

Absolute positioning CSS means there is no wrapping as each line is contained in a <div>

You'll find many sites that don't respond to text sizing via IE's View>>Text Size>> (select) Even Microsofts Vista home page, Windows 7 pages, CNN, Amazon and many more.

But they all will respond to zooming (or of course using Vistas screen magnifier).

I know how to zoom with the mouse wheel in IE. But that zooms the whole page (text and graphic elements together. And I realizer that the view text sizing feature in IE is non respondent on many sites.

But if you use the "text zoom" view feature in other browsers like Mozilla Seamonkey, Safari, the page size and graphical elements stay static and only the text is enlarged. This causes the test to run off the right hand side of the page of sites created with WD. This is not the case with other creation tools.

So I guess this is just a limitation of the WYSIWYG precision. Just thought I'd see if there was a way to work around it.

Guess It's back to CMS. Darn!

Webkit (used for Safari and Chrome) is being updated to zoom everything on the page as IE now does, as FireFox does (though FF gives you the option to zoom text only) and Opera (which has zoomed the entire page for years).

Full page zooming is the way it's all going I think?