Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 57 of 78 FirstFirst ... 747555657585967 ... LastLast

Default Re: Show us your sites!

Lovely site and content Cristofa but yes, it does take a while for each page to load. As for the upload time, as well as optimising the images you might like to consider my scheme here. It would mean you don't have to upload the whole site every time you export.
    JOHN -XaReg (FB) XaReg (DB - ignore prompt to register)
    Windows 10 [Anniversary] pro Intel Pentium CPU G630 @ 2.70Ghz RAM: 4 GB; 64-bit x64
    IP

... thanks, John, and I did look at your scheme with interest - even began building a site to test it. The biggest problem I can see is that you can't preview the whole site on your machine - so far as I can see, because of the urls needed to connect it all together, it would only work when all the elements are published on your host's server.

Have you got a website online using this system?
    IP

Quote Originally Posted by cristofa View Post
    The biggest problem I can see is that you can't preview the whole site on your machine - so far as I can see, because of the urls needed to connect it all together, it would only work when all the elements are published on your host's server.
    That's not true - you should use relative not absolute links, then they would work locally as well as on the server.

Paul
    IP

I was afraid you'd ask that I've got a very unfinished, non-commercial site here. If you go to 'Episteme' you'll see five sections and each of these is a separate .web (links are the red text - not so obvious ... said it was unfinished ) Of course, for a commercial site you could put the main menu on all the pages, giving a consistent look.

The links within a section don't need absolute links and for testing on your hard-drive, keep the site in a folder and, for examle, C:\Documents and Settings\desktop\blahblah will get the links between sections to work but relative links should work too. Before uploading you just change the latter links to relative links within the public_html folder. Once you have the sections organised these links won't change anyway so, again, you will just upload the section that has altered
    Last edited by zaphodeist; 31 May 2009 at 02:30 AM. Reason: clarification of local linking
    Windows 10 [Anniversary] pro Intel Pentium CPU G630 @ 2.70Ghz RAM: 4 GB; 64-bit x64
    IP

Here's a shot of what the site looks like - I put each section - index page etc -in a folder for neatness, but that's not essential and might cause me confusion in the future as there will be half-a-dozen index pages ... I'm going to change that as I think it's best to name the individual section index pages the same as the section, as in my master-plan!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	site.jpg 
Views:	248 
Size:	30.8 KB 
ID:	61650  
    IP

... as I experiment with this scheme it occurs to me that site-wide changes would become somewhat tiresome
    IP

Nothing's compulsory Just an idea
    IP

Hi everyone!

I just threw in the towel on using Dreamweaver and just decided to try Xara Web Designer. This is my first website to design but I think Dreamweaver was too much for what I needed and it seems much easier to get the effect I want with Xara. The final straw with Dreamweaver was when the preview showed what I wanted yet the editor was all messed up due to some floating divisions.

Anyway my website is www.mathnook.com. The first page is the only page so far that I made with Xara Web Designer.

Thanks,
    thall88
    IP

Hi Thall88,
    Good use of visuals and sound. I was trying to figure out how to add sound to the buttons, but haven't as yet. How did you go about it?
    Tony
    IP

Hi Tony,

Thanks. The sound is from Flash. The two headers along with the robot dogs are all Flash. I don't know if sound can be added to buttons via Xara or not but hopefully someone will post the answer here.

thall
    IP