Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Thread: Client Editing

Default Client Editing

Firstly many thanks for another superb product (again!). Overall I'm really impressed with XWD and I've already purchased it. One issue I have is...

If I build a small site for a client and that client wishes to make basic changes to the site (say text changes) WITHOUT using Xara - how can this be achieved? I'm aware there are web-based services/products out there which can be used to edit websites on-line but I'm guessing such products wouldn't work with XWD generated websites.

Any ideas?
    IP

Default Re: Client Editing

Well, the only really working solution is to edit them in WD. I don't know why your clients don't want it, I don't think it's harder than enything else.
    John.
    IP

Thanks for the reply. I've only just started using WD - but am I correct in thinking that if a small change is made to one page, the whole website has to be re-uploaded? Also, if I create an object that links to a file (say a PDF) is there a way to 'auto-upload' that PDF from within WD?
    IP

Quote Originally Posted by selbi View Post
    am I correct in thinking that if a small change is made to one page, the whole website has to be re-uploaded?
    Generally speaking - yes.
    Also, if I create an object that links to a file (say a PDF) is there a way to 'auto-upload' that PDF from within WD?
    Yes. If you put your file to the files folder (the folder that is crated along with your page and contains all the images), then it will be uploaded. All files in the "files" folder are uploaded automatically. One more thing - if you re export the new version of the site over the previous one, all your files that you have placed into the "files" folder earlier are not removed. So you don't need to copy them every time you export the site.
    John.
    IP

Hi selby,

maybe our thread about Content Management Systems is also helpful for you.

Remi
    IP

Great..

..so, I guess if I 'lock down' the layers and make everything look as simple as possible for the client - then making small edits to basic content should be pretty easy for them (and hopefully they won't destroy the whole site!).

If you think of any further tips on this, they'd be greatly appreciated. I'm guessing there will be quite a few folks interested in using XWD in a similar way.

I'll let you know how I get on, the site is for a school and I'd started developing it in DW CS4 (as I usually would)..but now I'm going to use XWD...here goes.

CHEERS
    IP