Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Post Re: Web Designer versus Xtreme Pro

Quote Originally Posted by -=Drifter=- View Post
    I would prefer they keep the two separate.
    I agree
    Marcia
    A mind is like a parachute, it doesn't work unless it's open.
    Frank Zappa

Default Re: Web Designer versus Xtreme Pro

Quote Originally Posted by sledger View Post
    Clearly this is no longer the case, true?
    It should be the case though. A web site is not simply a bunch of statically arranged graphics (which is what Xara Web Designer / Xtreme produce). It's a *semantic* kind of thing... with things like "This menu goes to the bottom right corner of the browser window, with 10 pixels margin", or "This blue bar is 10 pixels high and 50% the width of the browser window, with the other 50% tiled with "foo.jpg"", etc... this is all stuff that you can't do with the Xara approach.

Needless to say, as soon as you want to do anything dynamic where contents and/or graphics or structure come from databases, you need to look into 'real' solutions anyway.

Sorry, I really don't want to offend anyone it's just that I'm a hardcore web developer and this "Use a graphics package for a whole web site" thing hurts as if someone stabbed me!
    Alexander Ewering
    instinctive mediaworks

Quote Originally Posted by instinctive.de View Post
    it's just that I'm a hardcore web developer and this "Use a graphics package for a whole web site" thing hurts as if someone stabbed me!
    Exactly. Now just imagine that every time you mention hmtl, most unexperienced users who just want to design their own web site, feel stabbed or offended or humiliated. So...
    John.

Now just imagine everytime a 14-year old feels the urgent need to visit their grandma 200 miles away, they cannot go themselves because they don't have a driver's license.

Guess what - they'll just need to ask their parents
    Alexander Ewering
    instinctive mediaworks

Or use a WD!
    May be not as correct as with parets, but still their own way!

Seriously, you know, that the most humiliating is the common opinion that lack of html knowledge makes you unable to design your own site. This is humiliating because there are a lot of great designers who can create great designs but they have to learn html and spend a lot of time actually coding, not designing, just to make their desings to the web. Sometimes it's getting pathetic to see how experienced html coder laugh and make jokes of the real artist. Why? Because html coding is not an art, design creation is an art. And you can learn everyone to code html, even machine, while it's not always easy to learn someone to create art. So, the parents joke may be treated this way - do not ever, under any circumstances use any vector drawing software! Your parents have to do all this manually in the Post Script because you are to young to have a license to hand code Post Script!
    Last edited by covoxer; 11 March 2009 at 08:19 AM.
    John.

Talking Re: Web Designer versus Xtreme Pro

是的,我是设计后导出html,剩下的交给程序员,各有分工,编码我一窍不通也没兴趣研究!:

这论坛的删除回复按钮在哪里?我发现一旦重复回帖就没有办法删除了!(我是说删除自己的错误或重复回复,难 道这也不可以?)
    Last edited by 卡丁人; 11 March 2009 at 08:58 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by instinctive.de View Post
    ....this "Use a graphics package for a whole web site" thing hurts as if someone stabbed me!
    I remember being miffed when electronic piano started taking over from 'real' acoustic piano - where are the harmonics!! - well given time the harmonics came through - they'll never be the same [IMO] but now electronic and acoustic instruments co-exist quite happily.

Speaking in analogy the ease of WD is akin to the ease of an early portable electronic keyboard versus good old Steinway - and I think the WD way of doing HTML is going to have a similar impact.

Give it time to mature

I could be wrong, I don't code HTML, but I have been here before - I sense a sea-change...
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

Here we go again, the same old broken record spinning up again

It should be the case though.
    That comes across so very luddite and blinkered, no-one can take seriously a non-objective point of view.

Alexander if Xara Web Designer offends you because it's putting power in the hands of those who do not know HTML, then all I can say is 'Get over it"..

We all respect your right to your preferred methods and opinion and no-one is going out there way to force anyone to adopt a graphical approach to web design if they don't wish to. Any solution is the 'real solution' if the tool is understood and used as intended.
    It's just an option for anyone who wants to take it.
    Choice is good right?

So please try not to force your way of thinking onto others with your bullish comments, if you can't accept WD and see it as blasphemy, then please choose another subject to discuss at TG which we can happily join in with and remain friends. OK?

@卡丁人
    Posts cannot be deleted by members. Please ask a Mod to do this for you

Don't hope I'm considered a spinning record
    But use the tools you're provided with.
    With some effort they are complementary.

Hans