Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 910111213 LastLast
    Prince Edward Island, Canada --- The land of lawn tractors

Default Re: Web Designer versus Xtreme Pro

Yes, a tool.

I've been watching in amazement how John (Covoxer) has been answering user inquiries regarding adding functionality, with various javascript snippits of code. It is clear to me not only his impressive coding skills but also that Xara-WD can be a very powerful tool in the hands of an expert...

It seems there is a tendency for experienced professional web-coders to dismiss Xara-WD without ever really exploring the flexibility in it provides. Clearly it is a useful tool for those of us with no aptitude for coding but, as Covoxer has shown, it can also be a platform that advanced coders can also use.

I think that in time we will see more skilled web-coders discover the flexibility & benefits Xara-WD offers and get on-board. We will likely continue to see some folks poo-poo the program as not "professional" enough. (Maybe Xara need a $1239 version for those folks -- identical in every way except the price ). Ultimately "to each his own". Those of us who like the tool can enjoy using it and those who think there's something better for them can dismiss us.

Regards, Ross

Well said, Ross. I couldn't agree more.
    -=Bob=-

I think the "Hard coders" are worried about loosing part of there livlihood, as if the average small company sees the Xtreme Web Designer, they might opt for that and do theere own site, rather than pay some one.
    Jim

Yes Ross you've hit the nail on the head there.
    John seems to be enjoying the challenges that members have provided by finding ways to make things work for them.
    It's rare to find such individuals - thank you John.

@Scotty: Very pertinent point
    Last edited by steve.ledger; 18 March 2009 at 10:44 PM.

Charles should give John (Covoxer) a raise! Or at least Charles should use Xtreme to make John an 'Employee of the Month' certificate.

I gave XWD a reasonable spin last night and it occurs to me that there is one very good reason why Xara shouldn't continue enhancing web features in extreme - workflow.

The Xara developers have built a highly-targeted application where everything relates to web development and consequently everything fits together really well - great job Xara.

With Xtreme trying to be a jack-of-all-trades it loses out on that focus and consequently I don't think web development will ever be as good in Xtreme as it is in XWD. Navigating around XWD is very easy and everything is related to the web.

The software is a pleasure to use (though it's not perfect).

If anyone using Xtreme is wishing for the XWD features to be put into Xtreme, at least check out how much better a targetted workflow is by downloading the trial.

As an Xtreme user, please leave the HTML capabilities where they are and just concentrate on XWD for that kind of thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Ross Macintosh View Post
    Yes, a tool.

I've been watching in amazement how John (Covoxer) has been answering user inquiries regarding adding functionality, with various javascript snippits of code. It is clear to me not only his impressive coding skills but also that Xara-WD can be a very powerful tool in the hands of an expert...

Regards, Ross
    I have to agree 100% with this. I own a lot of software ranging from $5000 plus to this $49 gem ($29). No other company has a person so helpful like John. Every time I post something related to coding...a reply is back from John in minutes. Absolutely amazing!. This attention and willingness to help from the developers is the main reason I recommend Xara products to others.
    Also a big thank to many others on this list for being so helpful.

Hi Tom (Mr. Camolot217 ) -- I suspect John (Covoxer) was a major force in the development of Xara-WD - so for him & Charles Moir its like they've had a baby together. (Gasp)

So when John stays up all night helping users, I think we can see him as the proud new daddy eager to share the experience. I think all the Xara development team have much to be proud of with Xara-WD. I sincerely think the marketing people at Xara have done a great job with this one too. They too should be very proud. I think Xara Xtreme was called the flagship product earlier in this thread -- I believe it won't be long until Xara-WD takes the crown.

Regards, Ross

Quote Originally Posted by Ross Macintosh View Post
    I think Xara Xtreme was called the flagship product earlier in this thread -- I believe it won't be long until Xara-WD takes the crown.
    I think you're right. As a product it has a wider appeal than Xtreme and I think it will be the main revenue earner given a little time.

If I were a pessimist I'd suggest this is also a danger since XWD could come to the attention of rivals with big pockets that might like to be rid of a competitor.. (or take control of the young upstart). Early days yet.

They will eventually add all of the XWD bells and whistles into XXP and develop/redevelop a few more tools and they will raise the version number and up the price ticket. I'm not complaining about the price, it's my design application of choice, but they've always done that (look how they've virtually put X3D into XXP) and they will continue to do it. IMHO anyway. And good for them. I've read on these forums for years people using features I have never touched (and possibly never will). It's great to know I have a tool that does so much. For XXP to succeed as the flagship it has to be all things to all men/women. It already is everything to me. I still use Photoshop CS3 for some things, but not much, and it's more out of familiarity than anything else. Don't ruin it, Xara guys. That'd make me angry. You wouldn't like me when I'm angry...

http://republiquecricket.files.wordp...hulk-smash.jpg
    Last edited by steve.ledger; 24 March 2009 at 03:42 AM. Reason: Remove hotlinked inline image
    If someone tried to make me dig my own grave I would say No.
    They're going to kill me anyway and I'd love to die the way I lived:
    Avoiding Manual Labour.