Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Brushes,eraser and a bouquet.

Hi,

I've been trialling Xtreme 4 for a few days and haven't actually got around to doing anything much with it yet. I've been too distracted working my way through the back postings on this forum.

I think I must have trialled every version since X1 and have never taken the plunge and bought the software. The speed was awesome, right from the early days. I do own other Xara bits and pieces though.

Thought Xtreme might replace my aged copy of Freehand MX and the horrible, slightly newer, but rarely used, Coral Suite I own. I have Photoshop too, so it's vector capabilities I'm looking for.

Is there an eraser lurking somewhere in the Xtreme interface that I haven't found yet?

I gather one cannot load anything other than the default brush collection or save brushes to a collection. Am I correct in this assumption?

Decent brush support and an eraser are such basic tools in any graphics software be it Raster or Vector. I think I must just not be able to find them yet. Can somebody please show me where they are hiding? Layers seem a little clunky to use too.

Felt I just had to say what a really great bunch of kind, helpful people hang out here. Bouquets to all of you. Just love the genial one-up-manship that takes place and the incredible patience of some of the expert users have with bumbling beginner's problems.

Such a nice place to visit.

Dale

Default Re: Brushes,eraser and a bouquet.

Hi welcome

no eraser I'm afraid [mores the pity]

if you use freehand brush you can hold down shift and backtrack undoing what you have just drawn [before you release mouse/pen]

apart from that, erasing is done by subtracting and intersecting shapes

loading an xtreme brush is easy - you just open the file with it in and it loads into memory - once used in your workfile and saved you can close the brush xar file

making brush libraries similar - just save a xar file with brush stroke[s] in to open when required as above

too many brushes open at once will slow things down

layers need an overhaul - so do brushes for that matter - much requested here
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

Nice to have you here Dale.

Erasers are generally found in bitmap editing programs like Photoshop. Because to a photo editor, everything is a pixel.

There are always ways to remove portions of a vector object, such as the Combine Shapes functions, but no eraser.

What does the famed Illustrator "eraser" do that you cannot do by simply deleting nodes or shapes? I wish somebody could explain this to me because people coming to Xtreme from Illustrator really seem to be hung up on it. I mean, who needs an eraser...?

http://i598.photobucket.com/albums/t...ara/eraser.png

LOL, kinetica.

The Freehand Tool can work as an eraser.

No I'm not referring to using a shift key before releasing the left mouse button.

Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    Bill is no longer with us. He died on 10 Dec 2012. We remember him always.
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update

nice video Bill - this is not what the illustrator eraser does of course [I'm sure you know that]

the attachment below is a procedure in xtreme

the illustrator eraser does this procedure in one operation - a single stroke

you can begin and end eraser strokes anywhere you like, even from outside the object

if they ever get a free form eraser that would be cool
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	erase.jpg 
Views:	189 
Size:	42.5 KB 
ID:	61872  
    Nothing lasts forever...

Try holding down the 'Erase' key on your keyboard while pointing to the parts of the drawing you don't want.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	erase-key.png 
Views:	202 
Size:	81.9 KB 
ID:	61874

If your keyboard has no erase key, you can get one here.

BTW: You can try this method with any graphics software

ho ho - true enough Steve if you want to simply delete

'erasing' artistically is not simply deleting though, its a way of shaping the object [think 'sculpting'] - the illustrator eraser does this very well and very quickly - personally I think it should have been called a '2D sculpt' tool
    Nothing lasts forever...

Thanks Steve. I printed out the image and pasted it on the button shown below - can't wait to try it ...
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    JOHN -XaReg (FB) XaReg (DB - ignore prompt to register)
    Windows 10 [Anniversary] pro Intel Pentium CPU G630 @ 2.70Ghz RAM: 4 GB; 64-bit x64