Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Grouping problem

Thank you, thank you! I didn't know about the double quotation marks refining the search. That will come in handy. I will use this format for other sites too. Using the 'search' on the site doesn't always get you what you want and sometimes there is no search...though rarely.

When you group objects, the group itself adopts a position in the z-order. What that means in English is that all other objects are either in front of the whole group, or behind the whole group; other objects can't come between objects in the group. That means that groups can't span layers.

What the original poster wanted to do is to ensure his export was exactly 800x600. There is a much easier way to do this. Draw a rectangle exactly 800x600, and put it on a layer by itself called "export layer". I tend to leave it right at the front, but I don't think it makes any difference. Make it have no line colour and no fill colour. You can leave the layer invisible and unselectable most of the time. When you come to export, switch on the layer, select the rectangle (e.g. deselect all, ensure only that layer is selectable, hit CTRL-A), and export the selection as a bitmap.

This might seem complex, but it often totally obviates any requirement for clipviews etc. as you can just allow other object to spill over the edge. You can also turn the line colour on and off to show how the underlying objects will be clipped.

Hi, thank you for that information. I gave it a try and it works great.

Thanks Alex. Sometimes the most used method is the one often forgotten to be mentioned when asked a question.
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    Bill is no longer with us. He died on 10 Dec 2012. We remember him always.
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update