Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Grouping problem

When I am done with an image, I tend to apply clipview, if necessary, and then group everything. What I'm finding when I go back to make changes is that everything is now on one layer. This is so frustrating. If I want to add an object to the back of a character, that character (which is made up of many pieces) I have to hit the 'move backwards' button a zillion times.

Is there some rule of thumb about keeping layers intact? Well, the layers are still there but everything has moved to the front layer and the rest of the layers are all empty.

Default Re: Grouping problem

Hi Nancy,

In Xtreme and Web Designer if you group objects they are all moved to the same layer. Soft Groups in Web Designer do not move the objects, I assume that is why they are designated 'soft'.

I have simply refrained from grouping unless it pertains to objects on the same layer for example the shapes used to make a button.
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    Bill is no longer with us. He died on 10 Dec 2012. We remember him always.
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update

I started doing this because not all of my objects were not selected sometimes when I was exporting the image and they weren't exported with it.

Maybe choosing 'page' instead of selection when exporting will help. I want my images to be exactly 800x600 when I export them.

Hi Nancy,

having selected all the objects, you can then first copy them to a new layer [or indeed a new file], which is then used simply to group and export and you can delete it afterwards if you wish

this preserves your original layer layout for further editing
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

A Group - Maintain Layers options would be the answer.

Currently in Web Designer you can Copy an object on several layers and then Repeat on All Pages (Arrange). Thus layers are maintained.

That said, in Web Designer, if you merely copy something, then Paste in Place on another page, the layers are maintained.

an option to maintain layers in xtreme when copying or pasting would be very welcome Gary - yes
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

Instead of grouping, you might consider using Names (via the Name Gallery) to 'soft group' the objects in each collection.

Thanks Ampa I had never thought of using a name assigned to all the objects that I normally would group.

It prevents the merge to one layer and you can select all the objects using the name gallery.

Great tip.
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update

Thank you everyone. Great suggestions. I always appreciate the responses.

I don't know anything about this 'name gallery'. I will do some searching on it. Can someone tell me how to search XaraXone and workbooks for topics so that I can do the searching myself when I'm in need?

Nancy I use google's ability to search a specific site when needing information not readily available on the site itself.

To search Xara Xone for any reference to the Name Gallery I would use the following line in the search for box. Note the double quotes are used to force finding the exact phrase rather than every occurance of each individual word.

"name gallery" site:www.xaraxone.com

The result will look like the attached image.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	name_gallery_xaraxone.gif 
Views:	201 
Size:	61.8 KB 
ID:	57258  
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update