Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Hybrid View

Default Help with creating seamless tile

I thought I had nailed the principles of creating seamless repeating tiles, but apparently not.
    Attached is the result I've ended up with after endless hours of trying to create a perfect seamless tile.
    I have also attached the .xar file which contains the original vector I made, which was my attempt at creating an Escher style pattern.
    Any help on this would be very much appreciated.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	forum.jpg 
Views:	214 
Size:	74.5 KB 
ID:	56965  
    Attached Files Attached Files
    ** Detailed "Create A Spinning Logo Tutorial" is available in .pdf format for download at this link **
    Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx.

Default Re: Help with creating seamless tile

That is something for cold days :=)
    I read a lot about how to create seamless tiles now, but still haven't found out how to solve and if there has to be a solution for your problem at all without changing your arrows.

Hi Bob

in order to seamlessly tile, you need to find/create points of symmetry as defined by a repeatable tile shape

your pattern is not symetric to a square

it should tile but only with a oblong shaped tile - see attached .xar to get the general idea

if you want a square tile - reckon you need to remake the pattern as Juergen says..

EDIT: just to expand on 'get the general idea' - my example is not perfect - that would require a precise extension of your pattern and careful attention to slicing, which I have not got the time for - but hope it helps in principle
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	tiling fix.jpg 
Views:	198 
Size:	128.6 KB 
ID:	57005  
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by handrawn; 03 March 2009 at 08:18 AM.
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

Thanks, Juergen and Steve. I'm still jiggling with the selections, but as yet nothing that tiles seamlessly. I'll persevere, though.
    Edit: I was surfing the good old interweb and came up with a program that makes seamless tiles. I have posted a link to it in a new thread in Graphics Chat .
    Saludos,
    Bob.
    Last edited by iamtheblues; 03 March 2009 at 12:35 PM. Reason: added a link
    ** Detailed "Create A Spinning Logo Tutorial" is available in .pdf format for download at this link **
    Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx.