Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

View Poll Results: Which web authoring software do you use?

Voters
600. This poll is closed
  • Adobe Dreamweaver

135 22.50%
  • Microsoft Frontpage

71 11.83%
  • NetObjects Fusion

34 5.67%
  • Notepad or similar

19 3.17%
  • Web based builder

6 1.00%
  • Xara Xtreme

41 6.83%
  • Other

294 49.00%
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Default Re: Which web authoring software do you use?

Use Coffeecup, Textpad and am experimenting with Expression Web
    Joe
    IP

I use Notepad+ for most things. I've used many other programs but seem to always return to the old fashioned way of doing things. I use jQuery for most of my javascript and try to maintain separation of structure, presentation and behavior.

That doesn't mean I will not use a program like Web Designer for quick sites with only a few pages. I plan on purchasing Web Designer within the next few days.

I use Xara Xtreme for web graphics.

Some things are very complex to hand code, but I see round websites in my future using Web Designer.
    IP

Quote Originally Posted by remi View Post
    you have to reconsider, that Xara is trying to marketing their product this way ("no HTML skills required"). But the question is: Do you believe in this?
    Yes sir, I do.

Xara's Web Designer is an awesome product for beginners and intermediates who'd like to get up and running with web pages in the least amount of time with the smallest learning curve. Its WYSIWYG interface is pretty spot on for quickness, imho.

Xara's Web Designer is also awesome for the professional for prototyping "active" web pages before encoding and tweaking it in more advanced programs. It may not have all the bells and whistles of advanced programs, but it has enough; enough to give your clients a nicely presented drafted view of their website quite quickly. It's certainly a much better tool than creating "static" sample web pages via Xara Extreme, Corel Draw or Adobe AI, which is the way I used to create my prototypes.
    IP

Probably another minority opion, but I think Web Designer if fine if you have a very graphic site. However, I design web applications and the tool probably does less than 10% of what I need. I have to be able to show a lot of "functionality" type things where there is a lot of tabluar data and rarely, if every, any pictures. Xara's focus seems to be largely on picture oriented sites with very little functionality (from a database perspective). I do use Xtreme when I need graphics though. We also do a lot of "tab" based navigation schemes and the like and I found the tool pretty awkward for things like that (ues, I did create a "tab" which I could use as a background) but my site design mockup pages use a lot of Javascript and DHTML what is easier to do with other less graphically roiented tools.
    IP

Quote Originally Posted by zeedale View Post
    you have to reconsider, that Xara is trying to marketing their product this way ("no HTML skills required"). But the question is: Do you believe in this?
    Yes sir, I do.

Xara's Web Designer is an awesome ...
    The question was, if you believe in their marketing, that "no HTML skills (are) required". Look at the questions and the offered solutions within the Xara Web Designer forum and you can get a reality check.

Remi
    IP

@dcahall: I know, what you mean and I'm with you.
    IP

The question was, if you believe in their marketing, that "no HTML skills (are) required". Look at the questions and the offered solutions within the Xara Web Designer forum and you can get a reality check.

Remi
    Well, well... Here comes the mister "Reality Check"!
    Ok, let's check the reality. Is dynamic content possible in WD? No, of course not! Well, how about "reality check" then? http://rgaa.co.uk/newsrelease/members/johntest2d.php

Let's look at solutions offered... How much html skills are required to use them? Let me guess - Ctrl+C, Ctrl+V? That's definitely a deep html knowledge.
    What about looking at what requests are resolved? Uh? The answers given expand WD functionality, you don't need them to create web sites, as stated in advertising. And you still don't need html skills even to use those tweaks!

Though I see the position of the mister html expert - "you are all fools, I'm the smartest one here because I know html. Didn't I told you? blah, blah, blah..."
    Well tell me then if anyone can create the same sites as can be created in WD without html knowledge in any other software? Uh?

You want a proof that "no HTML skills (are) required"? Look in the forum you are pointing at: http://www.talkgraphics.com/showthread.php?t=36835
    There's already a number of sites published by people without any html skills and tweaks from this forum. Not enough for you???

You know, instead of being such a smart ass, you could use your html knowledge and experience to actually help this community. But obviously you either don't want it or you have none. In any case your comments are hypocrisy at it's best.

Sorry for being ****ed off, but there's nothing more disgusting than hypocrisy.
    Last edited by covoxer; 21 March 2009 at 02:07 PM.
    John.
    IP

You've lost the countenance, so what. Come down, John - my post shows my personal opinion. It's not offending, and not "smart ass" and not "hypocrisy", so please learn to live with it and please avoid to be offending from your side. Thank you.

Regarding to the point, who is willing (or have the time) to help you or not: Xara has choosed to attract the unexperienced customers, so you have to live with that (and you have to offer them support). It's your job, you get money for it. But please don't expect the same from the TalkGraphics moderators - we are not employees of Xara.

Regards,
    Remi
    IP

You've lost the countenance, so what. Come down, John - my post shows my personal opinion.
    Fair enough.
    It's not offending, and not "smart ass" and not "hypocrisy",
    It is hypocrisy and it is deliberate attempt to discredit our product. This is my opinion.
    so please learn to live with it
    Ok. Learn to live with my opinion of you then.
    and please avoid to be offending from your side.
    I am not offending. I'm just puting out my opinion.
    But please don't expect the same from the TalkGraphics moderators - we are not employees of Xara.
    Ok, I see, you are here not to help people and contribute to community, but to groundlessly criticize Xara products. I'll have to rememer this. Thanks for clarification.
    John.
    IP

Quote Originally Posted by covoxer View Post
    Ok, I see, you are here not to help people and contribute to community, but to groundlessly criticize Xara products. I'll have to rememer this. Thanks for clarification.
    It's your opinion, so what.

I've learned something about your kind of arguing - especially since I've criticised your work (the HTML export filter).

But please remember, that TalkGraphics is about discussions. You have to learn and accept criticism and not to imply something wrong to members with different opinions.

Remi
    IP