Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default Fixed pivot points

Does anyone know of a program that offers fixed pivot (rotation) points? I know that you can move them temporarily in Xtreme, but I would like something that allows you to place them and they stay put. The reason I'm looking for this feature is that I'm working on some cutout figures for animation so I need to test all the joints so that they move correctly.

Thanks!

Default Re: Fixed pivot points

i dont know about Xtreme, but in flash u can set a pivot point. most 3d software allows you to change the pivot point location.
    Illustrator doesn't control me....I control the beast within

Thanks for the tip! Of course, I can always make my figures in Xtreme and import them into Toon Boom Studio, set the pivot points and then tweak from there. TBS has vector drawing tools which I'm not so familiar with, but it is doable. Another thing I thought of was to add a transparent extension and group it with a part so that it makes the pivot point appear exactly where I want it to be. After I've done all my tests I can ungroup and delete this extra piece.

Hmmmm, a bit more work, but just might work.

Not sure I understand why the pivot points move in Xara Xtreme.

I made an invisible null object, grouped with the moving object and changed the pivot where I wanted it located.

I noticed if they objects are un-grouped, the pivot point changes.

I don't know if this will resolve your problem or not.
    Attached Files Attached Files

I believe the problem is that the pivot point is limited to one per document, not per object.
    In other words, there's an ad hoc point which can be positioned anywhere on the page to facilitate a pivot point for any currently 'selected' object , the next selected object will use the same pivot, so you need to re position it to suit another object.

Thanks, Regular! I tried the invisible appendage method and it works pretty well. Once I have created the part, I clone it, flip it, and place it on the opposite side. Then I make it transparent and group the whole thing. Works well, just is a bit extra work and if there is any tweaking to be done I have to recreate the whole group. Oh well, such is life

(Edit I tried another method of simply creating a line that extends in the opposite direction originating at the pivot point. It just has to be as long as the visible part--from pivot point to the end. Then make it invisible and group. As the part is modified you just need to ensure that the line is the right length and the pivot point will stay fixed.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by ZEBtoonz; 18 February 2009 at 02:23 PM. Reason: Added edit note