Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789

Thread: Drawing comics

Default Re: Drawing comics

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Hahn View Post
    Ah, the wonders of drawing in layers. Foreground and background objects can be draw on separate layers using Xara's layer gallery. You can edit any and everything independently.
    When I mentioned foreground and background I was talking about perspective, not layers. You have Joe Blow standing in the foreground and way back in the distance you have a building. The lines you use for Joe are much thicker than for the building, because it’s in the distance. If there is a cactus between Joe and the distant building, then its line is somewhere between Joe’s and the building’s, in thickness, and so on. If you gave them all the same thickness they would lose some of that illusion of perspective.

Cheers.
    Cheers Bob.

Quote Originally Posted by covoxer View Post
    And what I am saying is that you are wrong here. You can't judge what's best for any particular person based on the majority.
    I think we judge things like this all day long. What shoes are best for my daughter? What car is best for my mother? What Christmas present would my brother like? Who is the best singing tutor for my son?

Humans also constantly give advice to others about tools they recommend.
    Using the other approach, a conversation would go like this:

Allen: I recommend the Stanley Screwdriver over the Smith screwdriver, as it will last much longer.

Bill: Hey, now don’t be telling my son what screwdriver to use. You can’t judge what is best for him. He must find out for himself.

Allen: Well how is he gonna find out if nobody tells him what they think?

Bill: Never mind that. He can try out all the different screwdrivers, and learn by experience.

Allen: Sure, if you say so. In my own case I’ll tell my son what I’ve learned, to save him the trouble of having to learn the hard way.

If I think drawing by hand, using ink and pen, is a more effective way to draw comics at this time in history, I’ll tell budding comic artists that. I will also recommend they import their scans into Xara to do all the rest.
    IP

Quote Originally Posted by Allen James View Post
    If I think drawing by hand, using ink and pen, is a more effective way to draw comics at this time in history, I’ll tell budding comic artists that. I will also recommend they import their scans into Xara to do all the rest.
    Well, have you thought about a reason why it is best for you? I guess it is so, because you have learned this art with these tools. Like most of the professionals in this area. No wonder it is most convenient for you and them. You would have to re-learn a lot from the start if you try to use different kind of tool.
    It's just the same as most designers will advice any novice to go for Adobe Illustrator. Not because it is best choice indeed, but because it is the only tool they have mastered. But is it a good advice for beginner? Would it be the best way for him to learn this tool too? This is the question actually raised in this thread. And to answer it we have to forget our habits and personal preferences and explain all the pros and cons of every tool. Then he can make his choice. Otherwise it will be debate about which hand is better to use for drawing - right or left.

About screwdrivers - have you actually tried them all to be sure you suggest the really best one? No you didn't. Just as you haven't mastered all tools that can be used to draw cartoons. Having experience with only one tool you shouldn't really compare it to anything else.
    John.
    IP

I wrote (in Xara) a whole Wiki on this particular subject a while back...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	forumtrollwiki.png 
Views:	199 
Size:	20.8 KB 
ID:	56500  
    IP

I believe that this thread has run it's course and therefore I'm closing it.
    Egg

Minis Forum UM780XTX AMD Ryzen7 7840HS with AMD Radeon 780M Graphics + 32 GB Ram + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + 1Tb SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host
    IP