Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Thread: Brushes problem

Default Brushes problem

I'm fighting with brushes, I can't save the colour settings to my brush, I create a brush, then I set no brush colors or all brush colors to be able to change its color and when I draw a new line I have to set them again.
    I've used brushes downloaded from TG and they work well, I can't realize what I'm doing wrong.
    Any help is welcome.
    Last edited by steve.ledger; 02 February 2009 at 01:46 AM. Reason: New thread started with Javiers Brushes problem
    Javier

Default Re: Brushes problem

Yes, this exact question is raised every 5 minutes it seems. Your problem is also everyone else's problem unfortunately, and is a limitation of Xara. If you do a search on the TG forums for these brush issues, there are many threads that contain quasi-work-arounds. I have a brush tutorial which may also help in understanding brushes.

-------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

But all of those are workarounds! What we should have is proper brushes when you shift click it changes the colour. Or when you are doing a cartoon or a line drawing the brush acts like a pencil or a pen does you have thickness or thinness depending on the angle of the stroke. This as well as the amount of memory brushes use when drawing. I think the Brush Tool is the biggest let down in our programme at the moment forget all the bitmap effects and improve the vector tools.
    Design is thinking made visual.

You, I and others have banged on about it a lot about this over the last 18 months Peter

Xtreme 'brushes' are an means of distributing shapes along a path - to me that isn't even a 'brush' at all, its a 'hose tube'

Of course you can mimic a line, but even there the xtreme implementation is not good, in fact, its embarrassing

Good effects can be obtained as Gary and JA show, but this not sable brush work, this is not stroke along a path....
    Nothing lasts forever...

further note regarding the way brushes work - see post #6 here as well

http://www.talkgraphics.com/showthread.php?t=36201

Nothing lasts forever...

Thank you all of you,
    I read Gary tutorial, but I think something I'm doing wrong cause I can change the color of my brush without editing it.
    However I'm using some brushes downloaded from tg forum and they works great.
    I watched jokes video, It seems to be excellent but it's too dificult to me to understand the speech as you know my native language is spanish and sometimes some things get lost to my ears hehehhe.
    best regards.
    Javier

hehehehehe I FOUND IT !!!!!!!!
    When you want to create a brush that you can change the colour when you click shift + colour, you must create the shape and colour it using a named colour (that's the trick).
    Next create the brush using that shape and that's all, you can change the colour as easy as you do with lines.
    Thank you all
    Javier

another thing I found.
    If you create your shape with a two named colour fills like ellipse, when you create the brush, you change one colour change when you set the line colour and the other change when you set the fill colour, that is to say, shift + click change one and just click changes the other one.
    Javier

Good information. Thank you for sharing this.