Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Question How to colorize in white?

I use Ctr+U to colorize stuff usually, but when i try to set it to for example: Hue 0, Saturation 0, Lightness 60, then it stays weird, shadows wont show up, and not enought lightness aint white enought, so my question is how to colorize into white?
    IP

Default Re: How to colorize in white?

Hi,
    White is not a colour. The only way to show shape and form in a white image is to have shadows. If you set the Lightness slider on the Hue Sat tool to 100% then you will have a totally white image, any less than that amount you will have a bleached image with colours and shadows being treated the same. For the effect that you want maybe the exposure tool or dodge and burn tools may work better.
    IP

Quote Originally Posted by RTW1 View Post
    Hi,
    White is not a colour. The only way to show shape and form in a white image is to have shadows. If you set the Lightness slider on the Hue Sat tool to 100% then you will have a totally white image, any less than that amount you will have a bleached image with colours and shadows being treated the same. For the effect that you want maybe the exposure tool or dodge and burn tools may work better.
    Hmm, well I'm colorizing scooters and stuff for ppl, and usually white is the most common colour, and I'm not good at it
    IP

**edit**

I think I just realised that you want to make a car white not the other way round?... Anyways, same thing applies.

To colourise a white car you have to select all the white of the car. I do this by tracing it in Illustrator then copying the object into the PSD file without scaling it, then use the imported vector as a mask selection.

Copying the image to another layer and then using the mask, I isolate the white from the original photo. By using the Channel Mixer (set to mono) I create some more contrasting highlights and shadows.

I then make a new layer and fill this with the colour I wish to make the vehicle. I then use the same selection mask as the previous layer for the colour. I then set the transparency effect of the colour layer to "Colour". If the colour isnt vivid enough such as in the example below, I copy the colour layer and make it's transparency effect "Soft Light".

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CarWrap.jpg 
Views:	182 
Size:	85.2 KB 
ID:	55741
    Last edited by steve.ledger; 27 January 2009 at 12:57 AM. Reason: Removed photobucket hotlink - attached image to post. Please read forum guidelines re attachments - thanks
    Illustrator doesn't control me....I control the beast within
    IP