Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default How do I make a sandcastle beach hut?!

Hi

I am busy trying to design a poster advertising some brand new beach huts that our council are renting.

The 'look' that I'd like to achieve, is the outline of a beach hut filled in with sand, to make it look like a sandcastle. I'd like the sand to be real sand preferably used from an image of a sandy beach - rather than filled with a sandy effect (unless you think that would look better). I'd then like to try and stick a little spade in next to it.

Anyone out there get what I'm trying to do? And if so how can I achieve this design? Can I do it in Photoshop? I do have Indesign and Illustrator - but clueless on Illustrator.

Any help will be gratefully received, as I'm new to all this...and trying to impress my boss!
    IP

Default Re: How do I make a sandcastle beach hut?!

If I were going to do this, I'd use Illustrator, of the programs you mention...but that's not strictly true, as I would use Xara Xtreme for ease of use. Find a suitable photo of the beach hut, and trace round the outline of it. This outline can be filled with a sand texture (as I have done), or you could make your own easily enough.
    Saludos,
    Bob.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	hut.png 
Views:	521 
Size:	104.2 KB 
ID:	55872  
    ** Detailed "Create A Spinning Logo Tutorial" is available in .pdf format for download at this link **
    Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx.
    IP

Thanks for that Bob - it looks really great. I'll have a go at that in Illustrator. How did you get the sand effect?
    IP

I used a beige texture set to a repeating bitmap fill in Xara Xtreme.
    You should be able to right click on the attached picture below and select "save image" to your hard drive.
    Saludos,
    Bob.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	beige texture.jpg 
Views:	479 
Size:	21.3 KB 
ID:	55874  
    ** Detailed "Create A Spinning Logo Tutorial" is available in .pdf format for download at this link **
    Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx.
    IP

I've been having a go in Illustrator, and I used a grain texture fill which looks good. I've never used the Illustrator bit yet, but its going well so far. I've put the hut in front of a lovely Northumberland blue sky. Just need to do the bucket and spade now.

Thanks for your help Bob - you've got me well on the way after a frustrating day in Photoshop!
    IP

It's a pleasure. I'd like to see your progress on this. Good luck.
    Saludos,
    Bob.
    IP

Give me a couple of days (prob by the end of Monday) and I'll post it up for you to see the finished article! Thanks again.
    IP

Actually - here's what I've managed as a quick experiment. Not sure if I've attached it correctly though cause I havent done this before..

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	blythbeach2.jpg 
Views:	487 
Size:	26.4 KB 
ID:	55881
    IP

I forgot to mention that you can download a 30 day free trial of Xara Xtreme from here. Just click on the "Try It" button. Most newcomers to computer graphics should find it a lot easier to get started and produce something worthwhile without the pain that Illustrator can induce because of its rather steep learning curve.
    Saludos,
    Bob.
    IP

Wow! That was quick. It appeared whilst I was posting my last message.
    That's a pretty good experiment.
    Saludos,
    Bob.
    IP