Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default Auto line-smoothing in CS?

I'm trying to do some comic art, in a similar artistic style to this series.

At the moment, I'm sketching my art out by hand, scanning it in, then tracing over it using the Pen Tool, which gives me nice smooth lines. Unfortunately, this process is really time consuming. I don't have that steady a hand, even using a pen tablet, so free drawing with the brush or pencil tool is out (I've tried, results looked rubbish, even if I deliberately started out oversized, and then shrunk the image to the size I needed, thereby reducing any shake).

So my question is, is there a tool that I've overlooked, that will allow me to freehand sketch my outlines, but then automatically smooth them to give nice curves (i.e. a faster alternative to generating paths and adjusting them all).

EDIT: I've just seen the Freehand Smoothing feature that comes as part of the "Freehand and Brush tool" in Xara Xtreme. It's exactly what I'm after. I'm more comfortable in Photoshop though. Is there a PS equivalent, or is this a vector graphics thing. So it's Xara Xtreme or Adobe Illustrator (which I don't have).

For information, I'm running Photoshop CS, which the "About" splash screen describes as "Version 8.0"
    Last edited by Hemmers; 29 January 2009 at 09:33 PM.
    IP

Default Re: Auto line-smoothing in CS?

Ah ha. Just found I can use the Freeform Pen tool, and adjust the curve fit. I have to stroke the path afterwards, which is non-ideal, but at least I'm not fiddling with anchor points for hours.

If anyone knows of a quicker way, I'm open to suggestions
    IP

Default Re: Auto line-smoothing in CS?

You probably should make a Library of body parts and consistent objects so you are not tracing the same elements over and over again. In that Ctrl Alt Del site u can see there are similar parts in each frame.
    Illustrator doesn't control me....I control the beast within
    IP