Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default Images always listed as “Paint Shop Pro image”

My image names fail to show the image type suffix.

When the cursor is placed over a file name in the open or save windows, the little pop up window says “Type: Paint Shop Pro 7 image”, instead of telling me if the image is a .bmp, tga, Etc. In Windows Explorer the File Type column lists all images as Paint Shop Pro 7 images, rather than showing the image format.

I find this to be very annoying and would like help in correcting it. Am sure this is just an option set wrong , but I sure can't find where.

Am using PSP 7 and Win XP Home.

Thanks for any help, Bill
    IP

Default Re: Images always listed as “Paint Shop Pro image”

Windows will show (in the 'pop up') the name of the application associated with the file type which infers that it belongs to a certain application.
    In your case, PSP7 is the associated handler for those image types on your PC, clicking such images will open them in PSP 7.

To change this for each file type, right click a file and select 'Open With' and then select 'Choose program'. (If you just want the basic Windows viewer, choose 'Windows Picture and Fax viewer')
    When you select which program you'd like used, put a tick in the check box that says 'Always use the selected program......'
    IP

sledger - your fix works as advertised, thanks for the help.

Sure glad I came across this site, as I have been able to fix two irritating problems in two days now.

Bill
    IP

Always glad to help..
    IP

Well it might have helped with file association but you asked for it to show the file format as in Extension. Its not doing that because you have show extension for known file types turned of in XP. A bad idea in my opinion as it could lead to you opening a virus with a subject name that sounds like something else.

In Windows Explorer > folder options pick the view tab and it should be the last item in the list
    IP