Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default How To Customize Xara Settings

I recently formatted my computer, and installed Xara Xtreme again. Well, I had Xara set up with a few settings that made my life easier, but now I've forgotten all those things that I did to customize the program. I was wondering if there could be a chapter in a new user manual that was dedicated to custom settings. Currently, my solution to this is to go through the talkgraphic threads and find all those question and answers. If anyone has a better solution to this, or if this already exists please let me know. I'm a right brain person that completely forgets things like this and submerges myself in my work.

Default Re: How To Customize Xara Settings

Steps what type of settings are you referring to? If they are Registry settings you can use XaReg to make you settings then print a list of what the selected settings are.

You can download the latest version of XaReg from the Xara Xone shareware page http://www.xaraxone.com/html/shareware.html
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    Bill is no longer with us. He died on 10 Dec 2012. We remember him always.
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update

Thanks, I'll use xareg when I format my other computer. Its time to do some clean up on it as well. After thinking about it, all I needed to do with a lot of the settings is just go back through the option dialog box and my memory was better than I had though. Well, I appreciate it.

What I need to customize isnt shown in XaReg although I seem to remember people saying they've done it. When I start X4 or create a new drawing it would be nice if it will use MY customized default template rather than X4's default. As it is I'm closing the default and opening mine every time. It seems that this should be possible with a little registry edting. Can this be done or am I imagining reading in TG that it's possible?
    I tried saving my customized template as the default but that doesn't seem to work.

Quote Originally Posted by Gms9810 View Post
    I tried saving my customized template as the default but that doesn't seem to work.
    If you save a customised .xar doc as your default template and have put a tick in the 'Use as default template' box, then it should work as intended (opens your template rather than the Xtreme default)
    This has been possible since Version X1.

If it isn't working for you, you either have an installation problem, or a registry problem.
    You haven't said which version of Xtreme you are using, however if whatever version you are running is on Windows Vista - please run Xtreme from the shortcut as Administrator. (right-click: Run As Administrator)

If this still fails, re install Xtreme the same way (right-click Run as Admin') then run it the first time as Admin.
    If you are using Xtreme v4 don't forget to then install the update patch (see my sig link)

Now isn't this embarrassing, never noticed that check box before. I did it and it worked fine, thanks. Usually I'm more observant.

Happens to all of us. But, hey, that's how we learn.