Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default Quickly remove gradients from library of gradients?

I have somehow created a library of gradients with a huge number of repeated gradients in it. Is there a way of quickly deleting the individual gradients from that library?

Thanks in advance.

spinningjennie
    IP

Default Re: Quickly remove gradients from library of gradients?

Are you using Windows or Mac OS X?

In Windows you can use the Load button as if you are wanting to load a gradient.

In the pop up dialog that open, Right click on the gradient file you want to delete and select Delete, this will move the file to the recycle bin.

If you want to permanently delete the file without placing it in the recycle bin simply hold a shift key down before click Delete.

I have no experience with OS X so cannot advise for the OS.
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    Bill is no longer with us. He died on 10 Dec 2012. We remember him always.
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update
    IP

Thanks Soquili.

I'm using Windows. I have already done as you suggest but because there are so many gradients in the library it's taking an age. I've now Reset the gradients to default and the repeated gradients have disappeared.

When I choose SAVE in Gradient Editor, does that add the current gradients in the Preset Window, back into the same 'gradient library' again? Is that why I have so many repeat gradients in the Preset window? It looks like instead of SAVE, I should click NEW if I want my gradient to save.

spinningjennie
    IP

This gradient thing is a bit of a mess in Photoshop, what you need to do is to click on the small triangle on the top info bar close to the displayed gradient to get at the drop down menu. Now in that menu select Save Gradients this will let you make a folder of the new gradients you have made. Now the annoying thing is that if you add new gradients to any of your custom folders and forget to save from that drop down menu they are lost, you would think that a reminder would show, as you close down the program.
    IP

Many thanks RTW1,
    I share your frustration with the gradient setups.

I think Photoshop 7.0 has a slightly different layout to what you describe since the drop down doesn't give me the option to Save Gradients. However, once I create the gradient, I then give it a name and click NEW and it pops into the Presets displayed. I've now worked that out.

I have now discovered that the LOAD instruction
    'adds a library to the current list. Select the library file you want to use, and click Load.' By clicking LOAD many times I've kept unintentionally adding libraries to the current list of gradients.

I'll bear your suggestion in mind for future!
    spinningjennie
    IP

yes you can save in Photoshop7, I have checked this out on my laptop that has ps7 on it. The save gradient is about half way down the menu.
    Last edited by RTW1; 22 January 2009 at 03:04 PM.
    IP

Hi again RTW1,

Many thanks for checking Photoshop 7.0. The particular SAVE button to which you refer doesn't just save the single gradient you've created. It saves the whole set of preset gradients (the gradients appearing in the Gradient Editor window) as a library. This is what I've found on the HELP menu:

'To save a set of preset gradients as a library:

Click Save in the Gradient Editor dialog box.
    Choose a location for the gradient library, enter a filename, and click Save.
    You can save the library anywhere. However, if you place the library file in the Presets/Gradients folder inside the Photoshop program folder, the library name will appear at the bottom of the palette menu after you restart Photoshop.'

Regards
    spinningjennie
    IP

Hi spinningjennie
    I did know that the whole set gets saved, it is a long way from ideal , I am sure this will change in CS8, as progress with Photoshop that should have been a no cost upgrades seems to have to wait for a new version.
    An example of my rant is the dodge and burn tool that has only now just been re-worked to function as it should have done from day one.
    IP