Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default Xara and Second Life

I have recently become totally addicted to the second life alternate reality program. So much so that it was consuming lierally all lf my computer time...I wasn't checking my e-mail, and I was literally obsessed.

But after exploring, socializing, etc., I discovered the art of building things in Second Life. Everything from clothing to castles.

And here is where the link to Xara comes in. I have found Xara far more useful than any other software to make the textures I use in building things.

Anyone remember the thread on marquetry? I have used this technique to make textures for tables and other furniture, as well as stained glass windows.

My question is this: Am I all alone on Second Life, or are there other Xara-philes on there aw well?

Default Re: Xara and Second Life

I assume you are using Xtreme for the textures?
    I get confused when the word Xara is used because I'm not sure which Xara application is being referred to

I turn to Xtreme for almost every minor and major graphic and document work I need.
    I use it for quotes and flyers, sale signs, product sheets, job sheets, mockups, DVD labels and covers (I do work for a local crematorium creating photographic slides shows onto DVD for funeral services) and a whole lot more.
    Aside from my main daily work, Xtreme and TG have become my Second Life!

Quote Originally Posted by WolfMoonHP View Post
    I have recently become totally addicted to the second life alternate reality program
    I've never heard of this. What is it, a TV program? Anyway, I'm not a fan of so-called reality shows.
    Charlie

Lots of people are addicted to Second Life and World of Warcraft also. I let computer games consume me for a number of years and then I found 3D art and I settled down to a normal pace. I still play games every so often as a release but I'm no longer obessed.

The lady who lives behind me lost her husband to Second Life. He met another woman on Second Life and they started calling each other. He left Holly because he felt trapped in the marriage. He is consumed with Second Life and thinks there's more to life than what he has. Imo, he's letting a fantasy change his perspecitive of his real life. He spends alot of money there as well.

If you are making money with your Second Life, then more power to you and good luck. I won't go to the site because I'm easliy addicted and I have too much on my plate to add one more thing. Lots of people make a good living selling items on 2nd life.

For anyone who doesn't know what SL (Second Life) is, you can visit SecondLife.com to find out more.

Linden Labs, a tech chompany in California, created it and maintains it, using if for, among other things, beta testing some of their applications.

It would be easy to get so addicted that one lets a less-satisfying Real Life fade into the background. For me, some of the people I meet there have become friends...but it is my RL (Real Life) friends that I spend most of my time with. For example, I have a friend who is on an extended assignment in Taiwan. On SL, we can talk without telephone charges...LOL

Anyway, yes...it is Xtreme 4 that I am using for textures. To get patterns to fill with real precision is a challenge in other software...but not in Xtreme. People often look at my textures and are awed by them...thinking of how to duplicate them in Photoshop...

I just sold a series of stained glass windows created in Xtreme to a woman who builds castles in Second Life.

Creating a pattern for the windows is very easy in Xtreme...then in SL, make them transparent, put a light source behind them, and they are truly beautiful. SL lets me use my Xtreme creations in new and wonderful ways.

I tried it out for a while but the SL software kept on crashing too often so i haven't used it for a while - and that's good because i really don't have the time for it. Pretty cool concept though.
    Paul the Gnurfmeister!
    Home: http://www.gnurf.net/v3/ | My stuff for sale: http://www.zazzle.com/gnurf* | Follow me on Twitter: http://twitter.com/pasoderholm