Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hi guys...

I've been using Xara for a few months and generally I'm very pleased with it. It was recommended to me by a fellow rhino user and it is from this package that most of my input into Xara comes from.

My problem however is the import filter for AI which is the only obvious choice for porting graphics from one to the other. Elements such as layer colour, layer etc do not import and also dimensions get blown apart visually (yet still grouped...) I also get an error message when attempting to do this import.

I understand that importing these files into Illustrator works fine and therefore I think the problem is not with the export of the file but rather the import.. Can anyone at Xara shed any light on the matter?

Cheers

K.

Hi guys...

I've been using Xara for a few months and generally I'm very pleased with it. It was recommended to me by a fellow rhino user and it is from this package that most of my input into Xara comes from.

My problem however is the import filter for AI which is the only obvious choice for porting graphics from one to the other. Elements such as layer colour, layer etc do not import and also dimensions get blown apart visually (yet still grouped...) I also get an error message when attempting to do this import.

I understand that importing these files into Illustrator works fine and therefore I think the problem is not with the export of the file but rather the import.. Can anyone at Xara shed any light on the matter?

Cheers

K.

andalucía · españa and lower saxony · germany

That's one of the minor glitches of the *.ai import filter, which is based on the different Adobe standards... The Rhino developers seem to use the latest standard, which isn't fully supported by Xara. However, ungrouping the objects and move the dimension text to the correct position shouldn't be such a big problem.

Error message: only when you open the file for import it says that there is no filter defined, but just ignore that message, the *.ai file imports without glitches.

Layers? Hm, I never cared about layers. If you need layers, why don't you use Rhino? I don't understand your objective in this case...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	rhino-ai-sample01.jpg 
Views:	320 
Size:	20.8 KB 
ID:	2737  
    --------------------//--
    We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them.
    --------------------//--

I use Xara for all my Flash and Cinima4D vector work then export from Xara in .swf (for Flash) .ai (for Cinima4D) format and import into the other progs. But, like Jens I don't understand why you would want to import into Xara from other programs?

Turan

Hmmm... certainly moving a couple of dims wouldn't be a problem - however I have quite complex drawings and because the font isn't remaining constant either I have to explode everthing out. Furthermore its impossible to ascertain how far outside my bounding box which I use to ensure different AI files import at the same location... if that makes sense. Anyways the bottom line for me is that moving all the dims is a hassle I could do without.

With regard to layers - this is just for the sake of neatness and easy editing. I like to have dims on one layer, drawn lines on another etc - this makes for easy selection and editing.

I think the bottom line for me is do Xara have any plans to update their AI import filter?

Cheers

K.

Sorry, I should have mentioned - I'm extracting 2D geometry from a 3D model to use for illustration purposes - noting up, dims etc etc. All is to be compiled as a user guide for our garden shade structures - see www.tensarc.co.uk for more info.

Cheers

K.

Hi K.

Very neat Garden structures. I would not try to market them in South Dakota though. They would not last a day in this next of the woods. The wind out here has been known to topple lorries, so your sails would be "Gone with the Wind". http://www.talkgraphics.com/images/smilies/biggrin.gif

Cheers!! http://www.talkgraphics.com/images/smilies/smile.gif

Actually they are more robust than they look - and while they might not survive a hurricane they will take winds in excess of 120mph (dependant on configuration)- in addition to that you can take them down to leave a flush deck or patio in under 5 mins... http://www.talkgraphics.com/images/smilies/smile.gif

K.

Ultra,

I have used Rhino and Xara together. I don't do it often so, basically, I run across different issues each time.

If I am having "translation" problems, I usually do one of the following:

1. Import the .AI into CorelDraw (fix problems if possible), an then export as .AI, .PS/EPS or .CMX. Import into Xara.

2. Export as .DXF or .DWG, import into CorelDRAW, and then export as .AI, .PS/EPS, or CMX. Import into Xara.

3. Do 1 or 2 above, but export layer by layer or subsets of layers. This helps to identify or isolate problems and facilitate any editing required to fix problems.

Trial and error. It may add an hour or two to your overall process; however, once a process is determined then it will usually work for the remaining tasks for your project.

Thanks John,

I should clarify - I have a system that works for what I'm doing now - it involves exporting my drawing as separate AI files and then putting them together in Xara and adjusting the dims etc and line weights / colours. The process works but its a little bit slower than I'd like - if I could import the AI file with layers and without the dims going bonkers life wouild be much easier.

Thanks for the suggestions though.

Regards

Keith.