Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Default Re: windows 7 and Xara

Hi Ron,

Windows 7 is the current working title for the Beta (testing) version of next release of Microsoft Windows.

A Beta testing Version of Windows is where Microsoft puts a version of a new planned OS out for people to test and provide feedback.

Beta testing a new Windows version is not recommended for people that are not experienced in troubleshooting OS and hardware issues.

This thread should be reserved specifically for Windows 7 and Xara software.

To Everyone: For a more general discussion of Windows 7 please use the thread Sledger started in the Off-Topic forum thread
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    Bill is no longer with us. He died on 10 Dec 2012. We remember him always.
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update

OK - update - I finaly had a chance to play a little with Xara in Windows 7. After creating a default template I prefer, Xara won't use it on start up. Also it won't open to full screen (which is how I end each session). If I open the template after Xara opens, it has the correct settings, but won't use it on initially opening (like it does in Vista). I'm thinking registry entry, but don't which one yet.
    Glenn

I apologise for maybe stating the obvious, but when you save your preferred template you do check the 'Use as default template' box?

Also, when you first launched Xtreme, did you Run As Administrator?

(I still don't have W7 installed, so I might be slightly off at this point)

No apology needed - sometimes the most obvious is the answer - first, yes I did check the default template box and no I didn't run as administrator ( slap my wrist ). I'll try that next and update.
    Thanks,

update - ran as administrator - set everything as I wanted and it still reverts back.... hmmmmm
    update #2 - uninstalled Xara and ran setup as administrator - also first time run as administrator - created template and saved as default - NOW it works. (ya think I'd remember from when I installed it first in Vista - but that was over a year ago - got to double up on the ginko )
    Last edited by glenngosack; 16 January 2009 at 12:54 AM.
    Glenn

Thumbs up xara is working on windows 7 beta

it is working like a charm.
    1) right click on the setup.exe of xara (all editions)
    2) open compability tab
    3) select the run this program in compatibility mode for windows xp sp2
    4) check the disable visual themes and disable desktop composition options
    5) click apply
    6) enjoy!

Question Re: windows 7 and Xara

On a clean install of Windows 7 Build 7000 XARA worked in compatibility mode.
    On a clean install of Windows 7 build 7068 I installed XARA as one of the first apps to see if it worked. It worked. Subsequently I installed MS Office, Adobe CS3, PDF-XChange and now XARA does not work. It crashes just after the Tip of the Day windows starts to be displayed. Deinstalling XARA and reinstalling it does not solve the problem. It still crashes in the same place. I looked at the ProcMon trace to see what was happening when it crashes. The last thing it does is it load the TIFFImport.dll and then immediately crashes. I do not know the best way to proceed. Perhaps another clean install and install XARA last of all?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	XARA Crash Log.png 
Views:	284 
Size:	78.8 KB 
ID:	58879  

Try to remove TIFFImport.dll and see if it changes anything.
    John.

Smile Re: windows 7 and Xara

I did a complete rebuild (Win 7 bld 7068 RC1 32 bit) and installed Xara Last. I stopped autorun and used Vista Compatibility mode with Admin privs to install Xara. Around 98% it wanted to install Microsoft Video Codec 9 which failed due to a file not being found, so I cancelled that and continued. However, the ancient Camtasia Player 2.0.3 dated 30 October 2003 needs these to play the videos. On the CD I found the wmv9vcm directory and installed the necessary codec by hand. After this the videos in the help section worked correctly.

So possibly the installation of XARA after all other programs had been installed helped eliminate some unexpected interaction. However, there was one other difference: I did not install Nero as that wanted to install an old version of DirectX. So what the cause for the original failure was I cannot absolutely say.

The important thing for me is that Xara is now working in Windows 7 Build 7068 RC1.

I have an old Dell Latitude running Win2000. Xara XP4 runs great on that too (if a little slow, LOL)

If someone tried to make me dig my own grave I would say No.
    They're going to kill me anyway and I'd love to die the way I lived:
    Avoiding Manual Labour.

I have Xara Xtreme 4.0 installed on my Desktop and Laptop computers. I have a partition on the Desktop computer's hard drive for testing Windows 7 RC1. I want to install Xtreme on Windows 7. Will I run into problems with too many activations if I do this? It's in the nature of testing Windows 7 RC1 that it may be necessary to format and reinstall it a few times. Would I then encounter problems with the number of activations?

With thanks, Mart.