Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default 3 things annoying me

Hi,

Xara is quite nice, but it has some features which make me swear like hell. I decided to write here because I am quite angry - I have just ruined about 30 minutes of work (and it happened some more times in the past) so here I am. Maybe you can help me, maybe Xara needs some improvements...

Here they are:

1. In the Polish alphabet there is a very popular letter "ć" and it is ALT + C - in Xara it's Copyright... how can I change it? No, I don't want to copy and paste - I want easy and fast design with international support, not some crap shortcurts.

2. I have saved numerous pictures with just objects which I had clicked on with mouse.. like two minutes ago - 20 pictures (I was making a tutorial) and nearly all of them had only a small object instead of the whole scene. Can I set "save the whole f****** picture ALWAYS AND FOREVER"? Or will it always save only the object which is active? I want the whole scene without further senseless additional options when exporting. Always, forever, without wasting my precious time for stupid additional options "which I have to remember about every time I do something"... HELLOOOO!?

3. Improve cutting! Come ooon! Black boxes, cleaning backgrounds, dividing into some elements.. WTF? I want fast and easy use! Learn from Paint Shop Pro - select, copy, paste - and you have a piece!

Thanks in advance for help / improving features in future patches (I don't believe in that, in fact... )

Sponsi
    IP

Default Re: 3 things annoying me

One thing annoys me.
    New members coming here and blowing their stack without asking for help in a calm civilised manner.
    You'll endear no friends here if you create thread titles which contain swear words (I've removed it) and use strong aggressive language in your posts.

Sounds like you have an issue with patience more than the software.
    Last edited by steve.ledger; 10 January 2009 at 12:37 AM.
    IP

Welcome to the Xtreme Conference Sponsi

So, how do you really feel?

I was looking to see if there is an extended Windows character for ć but I don't find one. However, you must know the Alt + #### for the character so you should use that. It's a pain in the butt, but it works. You might also see if you can change it in Customize Keyboard Shortcuts (Utilities menu).

2. I am not clear on your problem. Can you provide a screen shot or a more thorough description of what you are trying to save and how you are trying to save it? Are you saving or exporting?

3. I am not sure what your problem is. Cut and paste can be done in two methods, Paste, which pastes the copied object or objects in the center of the page, and Paste in Place (Shift Ctrl V) which pastes the copied object or objects in the same spot from which they were copied. I have used Xara for about 15 years and I have never experienced what you are describing.

Please give us more details and we will try to help you. Your English is excellent, by the way.
    IP

Sponsi, welcome. If you wish members to post serious answers to your questions then please consider your questions in some depth before posting. A negative question will get a negative response. Read your question again and ask yourself why should any member be bothered to reply to your request?
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host
    IP

If you reread the questions ,i saw (s)he answered the questions him/her self.
    (s)He wants the alt+c be polish character not the ©
    (which is wrong by the way,because ctrl+alt+c is the ©
    and alt+c is nothing)

Export doesn't need extra options to export either page/selection or drawing
    It just needs to be saved as png or whatever.

And (s)he wants a lasso or magic-wand for selecting to cut and paste.
    which you can always achieve by opening your bitmap editor after creating a bitmap Copy.((s)he doesn't know that vector cutting is a bit different then bitmap cutting,for this (s)he's forgiven)

Hans
    IP

I agree with your appraisal Hans.

Though nothing forgives arrogance and impatience.
    I'm not sure that wasting just 30 minutes using a computer is something to get cranky about. There's more value in realising what you learned during that 30 minutes.

Wanting things to work your way (and only that way) is something we get enough off at TG. It helps no-one.

Sponsi, listen to Egg and others. TG is a great place and the best place to get help when you need it.

You just have to ask nicely.
    Last edited by steve.ledger; 10 January 2009 at 12:38 AM.
    IP

Sunshine Coast BC, Canada. In a beautiful part of BC's temperate rainforest

Very well said Steve. One of the things I love about TG is that there usually isn't any swearing. Good manners will take you far
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    My current Xara software: Designer Pro 365 12.6

Good Morning Sunshine.ca | Good Morning Sunshine Online(a weekly humorous publication created with XDP and exported as a web document) | Angelize Online resource shop | My Video Tutorials | My DropBox |
    Autocorrect: It can be your worst enema.
    IP

2. Uhh, yeah, before exporting, press Esc to deselect the object and the whole scene will be exported automatically. There, now was that really worth all the nagging you did around this question?

3. Sorry. Don't understand exactly what you mean. "Black boxes, cleaning backgrounds, dividing into some elements"????? No idea
    IP

Steve,

I was a bit sarcastic
    Of course i agree with you,thats why i addressed it in the way i did

Hans
    IP

Oh leave your comments to yourself, I've been using the Internet for a long time and been on different forums and I don't need texts like "you are a new member blah blah"... FOCUS on the problem, not on side effects of the problem...

I was pissed because I had been working on a project for a long time.
    Yea, I am aggressive sometimes, especially when sth doesn't go the way I want.

haakoo: no comments

Anyway,
    the first general truth is that Corel was far more pissing than Xara.. Xara IS a great tool which I love.. but... yeah, "but"..

ALT + C in Polish keyboard sets gives "ć"... well.. I can't find the keyboard settings someone wrote earlier... but I'll keep looking for it..

The thing with exporting a small object instead of the whole is, in my opinion, a stupid thing - it's like someone exchanged ENTER and ESC keys on a new type of keyboard... for the whole life, in PaintShopPro, CorelDRAW, Inkspace, etc. every save/export was of the whole image.. and they made this difference in Xara - if you happen to have an object chosen as active - then it will only export it... THIS is annoying! Can I change the default method of export? I guess not - and well.. that's all in the topic. This is simply not right - habits make people work (nearly) the same way on different applications - why change sth which is OK - I mean this export? I don't want to remember to click somewhere on a blank place or press ESC... I don't - I want to work "my way".. I mean the normal way...

When I wrote about cutting an image I meant one of the videos - the training videos.. I have to cover places with black boxes.. then add the boxes as objects.. name them... make boxes transparent.. and then export.. THIS way of cutting an image is far too complicated... and I can't make quick changes in case of changes in the project... do you have any other methods for cutting an image? Paint Shop Pro has nice crop.. I crop and I save a piece.. then I undo.. then crop - save - undo - etc... clean and nice.

I have one more.. I change grid properties, I make it 100 and 10.. and then I set "snap to grid".. can I make it a default page setting? I always have to go to the menu and change the freaking grid...

I must say you generally answered in low voice - I'm thankful for that - you could've destroyed me and give me a ban or sth. Nice of you!
    IP